Programming: Self-Writing Code & Understanding Plain English

• Thread starter Darkprojects
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary: We all have to start somewhere. Let's just say it's a lofty goal and leave it at that.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a program that can write new programs or modify its own code, and whether it can be taught to understand plain English instead of traditional programming languages. The concept of self-modifying code and reflective programming is also mentioned, along with the challenges of creating such a program without a strong understanding of programming languages. It is suggested to focus on becoming a better programmer before attempting such a complex task.
Darkprojects
Hey guys,
Im wondering can't programmers make like a program that can write new programs or add to its own code?

And can they learn such a program to understand us in plain english instead of all those programming languages?

Technology news on Phys.org
they could if they knew how.

granpa said:
they could if they knew how.

Realy? I could use one of those then XD

Okay so that confirms that its possible right?

cause id try to write the program I am trying to create myself but i don't fully understand anny programming language.

All i have is python, visual c++ express edition, Notepad ++(if you know what it is.)
And i don't even know how to use those to create what i am trying to create.
(Wich woud be a program that can write other programs and edit itself then id only need it to be able to do one thing and that is to like allow it to understand english and make new programs or modify itself the way specified after ordering it to do so.)

So its kinda to help me build programs cause i have a hard time learning even the most simple language so that's why i need it so it could like do the really hard stuff itself.

Id also get it to like look things up it doesent understand useing i don't know google or sumthing.

Well its not very hard (but its not easy!) to make a program that reproduces itself or that adds predefined code to it (from other text files for instance) and things like that. However, it is not yet known how to make a program that intelligently modifies itself or adds its code in some sensible behaviour.
As for writing in english instead of regular code - some new programming languages have this feature already installed in some way or another. The feature might get very popular or not at all. I haven't tried it yet.

Visual basic is pretty much already in english. Making it understand words could cause a lot of confusion and errors when programming.

Darkprojects said:
Im wondering can't programmers make like a program that can write new programs or add to its own code?
This sounds like you might be interested in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_programming" [Broken].
Darkprojects said:
And can they learn such a program to understand us in plain english instead of all those programming languages?
If you cannot learn to program a computer in a language designed for the task then you would be even less likely to be able to program a computer in a natural language. Learning a programming language is the easiest part of programming a computer. What is difficult is organizing your thoughts in such a clear and detailed manner that even something as stupid as a computer can perform the task you have in mind. A programming language helps with that because of its simplicity, its rigid grammar, and its limited vocabulary. With all of the richness and nuance of a natural language it would be much more difficult to organize your thoughts to the degree required in programming.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole idea is not new at all. There were utilities running under VAX/VMS that wrote custom assembler routines (part of USERBASE if you know what that is) on the fly to optimize sorting. This was 1987.

You don't know any programming languages, yet you think you'll be able to create some kind of artificially-intelligent program that not only writes more complicated programs, but also looks things up on Google to better itself? Are you planning on creating a teleporter and warp drive, while you're at it?

Self-modifying code has been around forever. It's mostly at the fringe of computer science, because it has very few real applications.

If you don't fully understand a programming language well enough to accomplish your desired task, you're definitely not going to be able to create a program which writes a program to accomplish your desired task. Give it up and focus on becoming a better programmer.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
You don't know any programming languages, yet you think you'll be able to create some kind of artificially-intelligent program that not only writes more complicated programs, but also looks things up on Google to better itself? Are you planning on creating a teleporter and warp drive, while you're at it?
Made out of Fruit Loops, of course!

Self-modifying code has been around forever. It's mostly at the fringe of computer science, because it has very few real applications.

If you don't fully understand a programming language well enough to accomplish your desired task, you're definitely not going to be able to create a program which writes a program to accomplish your desired task. Give it up and focus on becoming a better programmer.

- Warren

Hey now, be nice.

1. What is self-writing code?

Self-writing code is a type of programming in which the code is able to modify itself and generate new code without human intervention. This is achieved through the use of algorithms and machine learning techniques.

2. How does self-writing code work?

Self-writing code works by using a combination of algorithms and machine learning techniques. These algorithms are able to analyze patterns and make decisions on what code to generate next based on the desired outcome.

3. Can self-writing code be used for any programming language?

Yes, self-writing code can be used for any programming language as long as the language supports dynamic code generation. Some popular languages that are commonly used for self-writing code include Python, Java, and C++.

4. What is the benefit of using self-writing code?

The main benefit of using self-writing code is increased efficiency and productivity. With self-writing code, programmers can save time by automating the process of writing code and can also create more complex and optimized code than they might be able to do manually.

5. Is it difficult to learn how to program in plain English?

The difficulty level of programming in plain English depends on the individual's prior knowledge and experience with programming. Some people may find it easier to learn and understand, while others may struggle with the concept. It ultimately requires practice and familiarity with the specific programming language being used.