Calculating Hydrogen-Oxygen Ratios at the Space Center

In summary, the space center in Huntsville had a plaque that listed the ideal molar mass for hydrogen and oxygen to make an oxygen-rich mixture. The calculation was done assuming an ideal reaction. The second and third stages of the hydrogen-oxygen reaction used a very rich fuel mixture, which resulted in more thrust. However, the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen was not 4:1 as expected. The difference could be due to the engineering of the tank or the fuel mix.
flatmaster
I went to visit the space center in my new home of Huntsville AL the other day. I figured i'd do a quick calculation from tank capacity as read from the plaque for the second and third liquid hytrogen stages. Assuming an ideal reaction, there should be a mass ratio of oxyogen to hydrogen of 4:1. This calculation comes from the straight foreward chemistry of the reaction and the respective molar masses of hydrogen and oxygen.

The third stage was close to this ratio. However, the second stage was closer to 5:1. Could a difference this big be atribuable to the engineering of a particular geometry of the tank to fit within the structure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, I was sure to read the fuel masses rather than tank volumes.

The stoichiometric ratio is 8:1 (H2O=116O+21H, 16:2), not 4:1. Both the second and third stages used a very rich fuel mixture. The reason: While running rich does slows the exhaust, it does so just a little bit. You can think of it as if those extra hydrogen ions in the exhaust stream as hitching a free ride. The vehicle gets a corresponding free ride the other direction.

Last edited:
Ok. I see my mistake now. I understand how running fuel rich would provide extra mass for some more momentum transfer rearwards, resulting in more thrust. However, what would be the difference between running fuel rich rather than oxidizer rich? Expense of LOX? storage temperature? Reaction rate? Can I assume that the extra reaction force from a heavier oxygen would be the same as from the lighter hydrogen?

flatmaster said:
Can I assume that the extra reaction force from a heavier oxygen would be the same as from the lighter hydrogen?
No. A lean mixture would essentially act as a quench.

A *very* old paper: http://digidoc.larc.nasa.gov/report/tn/19/NACA-TN-4219.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the hydrogen-oxygen ratio for a rocket launch at the space center?

To calculate the hydrogen-oxygen ratio, you need to know the weight of the fuel and the weight of the oxidizer. The ratio is then determined by dividing the weight of the fuel by the weight of the oxidizer. For example, if the fuel weighs 1000 kg and the oxidizer weighs 500 kg, the ratio would be 2:1.

2. Why is it important to calculate the hydrogen-oxygen ratio for a rocket launch?

The hydrogen-oxygen ratio is crucial for a rocket launch because it determines the amount of thrust generated by the rocket. A higher ratio means more efficient combustion and therefore more thrust, which is essential for a successful launch.

3. How do you ensure an accurate calculation of the hydrogen-oxygen ratio?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise measurements of the fuel and oxidizer weights. These measurements should also be taken at the same temperature to avoid any discrepancies. Additionally, it is important to use the correct formula for calculating the ratio.

4. What is the ideal hydrogen-oxygen ratio for a rocket launch?

The ideal ratio varies depending on the type of rocket and its intended purpose. Generally, a ratio between 3:1 and 6:1 is considered optimal for most rockets.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the hydrogen-oxygen ratio?

Yes, it is important to handle hydrogen and oxygen with caution as they are highly flammable gases. Proper safety protocols should be followed when handling and storing these gases at the space center. It is also important to ensure that the ratio is within safe limits to prevent any potential explosions or accidents during the launch.