Transformers problem and output voltage

In summary, the question asks for the output voltage V of a transformer at a generating plant, given that power is generated at 24 kV and transmitted 124 km to a town requiring 40 MW of power at 12 kV. The overall transmission efficiency is to be 98.5%, and the resistance of the transmission lines is 0.10 /km. The solution involves finding the power required at the plant, the power dissipated during transmission, the total resistance of the two wires, the current flowing through the wires, and finally using the generated power and current to calculate the required output voltage V.
phys-unit

Homework Statement

Power is generated at 24 kV at a generating plant located 124 km from a town that requires 40 MW of power at 12 kV. The voltage will be stepped up from 24 kV to some voltage V by a perfect transformer, transmitted over wires, and then stepped down to 12 kV by another perfect transformer. The two transmission lines in between the two transformers each have a resistance of 0.10 /km. What should be the output voltage V of the transformer at the generating plant in order for the overall transmission efficiency to be 98.5%?

a) First determine how much power must be generated at the plant in order to deliver the required power at the town. (Enter your answer to the nearest 0.1 MW.)
1 MW

b) The difference between these two powers is the amount of power that is dissipated by the resistance of the transmission wires. How much power is dissipated during transmission?

c) The next step is to find the total resistance of the two wires.

d) Determine the amount of current flowing through the wires in order to dissipate the power lost during transmission.

e) Finally, use the generated power at the plant, together with the amount of current flowing through the wires, to find the required output voltage V of the transformer at the generating plant.

Homework Equations

I think yuo woulsd use the conservation of energy? You might also use Vs/Pv?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got question A: 40.6 I'll continue to look at the others tell I get them.
Question B: .6

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MWQuestion C: 124km * 0.1/km = 12.4Question D: .6/12.4 = .048AQuestion E: 24kV * .048A = 1152W/40.6MW = 2.837kV

MW
Question C: 0.2 ohms
Question D: 3.03 A
Question E: 28.8 kV

I would approach this problem by using the principles of electrical engineering and conservation of energy. First, I would calculate the amount of power that must be generated at the plant in order to deliver the required power at the town. This can be done by using the formula P = IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. Using the given values, I calculated that the power generated at the plant should be 40.6 MW.

Next, I would calculate the power dissipated during transmission by subtracting the generated power from the required power. In this case, the power dissipated is 0.6 MW.

To find the total resistance of the two transmission lines, I would use the formula R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material (in this case, 0.10 /km), L is the length of the transmission lines (124 km), and A is the cross-sectional area of the wires. Using this formula, I calculated the total resistance to be 0.2 ohms.

To determine the amount of current flowing through the wires, I would use the formula P = I^2R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. Plugging in the values, I calculated the current to be 3.03 A.

Finally, using the generated power at the plant and the amount of current flowing through the wires, I would use the formula V = P/I to find the required output voltage V of the transformer at the generating plant. My calculation yielded a voltage of 28.8 kV.

In summary, in order to achieve an overall transmission efficiency of 98.5%, the output voltage V of the transformer at the generating plant should be 28.8 kV. This calculation takes into account the power dissipated during transmission due to the resistance of the wires, and ensures that the town receives the required power of 40 MW at 12 kV.

1. What is the "Transformers problem"?

The "Transformers problem" refers to the issue of determining the output voltage of a transformer, given the input voltage and other parameters of the transformer.

2. How is the output voltage of a transformer calculated?

The output voltage of a transformer can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (Np/Ns), where Vin is the input voltage, Np is the number of turns in the primary coil, and Ns is the number of turns in the secondary coil.

3. Can the output voltage of a transformer be greater than the input voltage?

Yes, the output voltage of a transformer can be greater than the input voltage. This is possible due to the principle of electromagnetic induction, where the changing magnetic field induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in a higher voltage.

4. What factors affect the output voltage of a transformer?

The output voltage of a transformer is affected by the ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the permeability of the core material, and the frequency of the input voltage.

5. How can the output voltage of a transformer be adjusted?

The output voltage of a transformer can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the primary or secondary coil, or by using a device called a tap changer, which allows for adjustments to be made to the turns ratio of the transformer.