Modern Physics vs Classical Physics

In summary, classical physics deals with the dynamics of slow, large objects while modern physics deals with the dynamics of fast, small objects. The main difference between the two is that classical physics does not incorporate quantum mechanics, while modern physics does. Additionally, classical physics uses the concept of forces, while modern physics focuses more on potentials and fields. There is also some overlap, as some theories like general relativity can be considered both classical and modern. The history of light and the study of chaos also add complexity to the distinction between classical and modern physics.
Senjai
Just curious, what's the difference?

I was told be someone that modern physics has ways of accurately defining what a force is, while classical physics does not define forces, only acceleration in terms of force and mass.

Again, just curious.. What are the major differences? Is one wrong? (similar to how high school students were taught the bohr model earlier to discover it was wrong later.)

Senjai

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I wrong in my summation. Modern physics deals mostly with the dynamics of the space, classical - dynamics in the space.

one simple difference is that classical physics deals with slow, big things (from bullets to planets) while modern physics was required for smaller, faster moving things (like electrons).

GR is a counter example, of course.

There are a few varying definitions of what separates classical physics from modern physics. Some day that everything pre-1905 is classical, and everything afterwards is modern. The defnition I prefer, and have heard most often, is that every branch of physics that does not utilize a quantum treatment is classical, and any physics that is based on quantum mechanics is modern. So classical physics includes mechanics, E&M, the kinetic theory of gases, optics (including the whole wave/particle duality thing), and special and general relativity (yes, I've heard a cosmologist call GR a classical theory). Modern physics then includes non-relativistic quantum mechanics, quantum statistical mechanics, nuclear/particle stuff, and field theory.

Regarding forces, I think you might have heard slightly incorrectly. In quantum mechanics we actually don't talk about forces at all. In non-relativistic quantum mechanics, potentials (potential energy and the magnetic vector potential) play a more direct role than in classical physics. And in relativistic quantum mechanics, or quantum field theory, we get rid of potentials altogether and talk about fields. It's actually somewhat difficult to do a quantum mechanics calculation while talking about "forces," without fudging the formalism somewhat.

The experimental history of light is another interesting case that betrays my simple assertion above.

And non-linear (chaos) dynamics perhaps too.

Classical physics is based on Newtonian physics where as modern physics supplements upon that with general relativity and quantum mechanics

1. What is the main difference between modern physics and classical physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity. Classical physics, on the other hand, deals with the motion and interactions of macroscopic objects and is based on Newton's laws of motion. The main difference between the two is that modern physics takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity, which were not known or understood during the development of classical physics.

2. How has modern physics changed our understanding of the world?

The development of modern physics has revolutionized our understanding of the world on both the smallest and largest scales. It has provided explanations for phenomena that were previously unexplainable, such as the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of the universe. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as transistors and lasers, that have greatly impacted our daily lives.

3. Can classical physics still be used to explain everyday phenomena?

Yes, classical physics is still the most accurate and practical way to understand and explain everyday phenomena at the macroscopic level. Classical physics equations and principles are still used in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and thermodynamics.

4. What is the role of mathematics in modern physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in modern physics, as it provides the language and tools to describe and understand the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. The development of complex mathematical models and equations has allowed scientists to make accurate predictions and advancements in fields such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Is it possible to unify modern physics with classical physics?

There have been attempts to unify modern physics with classical physics, mainly through theories such as quantum field theory and string theory. However, these attempts have not yet been successful in providing a complete and unified explanation for all physical phenomena. The two branches of physics are still considered separate and are used to explain different aspects of the natural world.