Math equation electronic document

In summary, Latex is a popular software for electronically solving math equations. To use it on Windows XP/Vista/7, you will need to download three separate programs: Sumatra PDF Viewer, MikTex, and TexNicCenter. Make sure to install TexNicCenter last and input the necessary information to get started.
quantum123
Hi, I wish to do math equations electronically.
Can someone help me to find a good software?
I heard there is such a thing called latex. Where can I find it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
quantum123 said:
Hi, I wish to do math equations electronically.
Can someone help me to find a good software?
I heard there is such a thing called latex. Where can I find it?

Thanks

Latex is definitely the way to go, but it's a little strange at first.

For Windows XP/Vista/7, you need three pieces of software which will work together:

(1) Sumatra PDF Viewer
(2) MikTex: Use the "'Basic MiKTeX 2.8' Installer" found here.
(3) http://www.texniccenter.org/resources/downloads/29-downloads/12-texniccenter-installer

Make sure to install TexNicCenter last out of the three. It will ask you to input the following:

* the location of the file "latex.exe" - usually found in C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.8/miktex/bin
* some kind of DVI viewer - you can use C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.8/miktex/bin/yap.exe
* some kind of PDF viewer - you can use C:/Program Files/SumatraPDF/SumatraPDF.exe
* a command line parameter for preventing the PDF viewer from opening new windows every time you compile: use "-reuse-instance" (no quotation marks)

That should give you everything you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a "Math equation electronic document"?

A "Math equation electronic document" is a digital file or document that contains mathematical equations and symbols. It can be created using a variety of software programs, such as Microsoft Word, LaTeX, or specialized mathematics software.

Why are "Math equation electronic documents" important?

"Math equation electronic documents" are important for several reasons. They allow for accurate and precise representation of mathematical equations, which is crucial in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. They also make it easier to share and collaborate on mathematical work, as they can be easily emailed or uploaded to online platforms.

How do you create a "Math equation electronic document"?

There are several ways to create a "Math equation electronic document". One option is to use a specialized mathematics software, such as MATLAB or Maple. These programs have built-in tools for creating and formatting mathematical equations. Another option is to use a word processing software, such as Microsoft Word, and use the equation editor feature to input and format equations.

Can "Math equation electronic documents" be converted to other formats?

Yes, "Math equation electronic documents" can be converted to other formats. Most word processing programs have the option to save the document as a PDF, which will preserve the equations and formatting. Some programs also have the option to export the document as an image file, such as a JPEG or PNG, which can be easily inserted into other documents.

What are the advantages of using "Math equation electronic documents" over handwritten equations?

Using "Math equation electronic documents" has several advantages over handwritten equations. They are easier to edit and make changes to, as opposed to erasing or crossing out mistakes on paper. They also provide a neater and more professional presentation of equations, which can be especially important when sharing work with others. Additionally, electronic documents can be saved and stored indefinitely, while handwritten notes can get lost or damaged over time.