Physical Transfer of Data on a Computer Bus

In summary, a modern computer sends current (I) as data to the CPU which is then recognized by the CPU. This current is then used to control the operation of Integrated Circuits.
Brown399
My understanding of a modern computer is as follows; 'information' is sent from a keyboard as current (I), this signal is sent to the CPU via the appropriate buses (in this instance, USB -> North Bridge -> main bus/cpu bus -> CPU), which is then recognized by a CPU via integrated circuit, and each transistor recognizes this current as "on or "off" (0 or 1).

My question:
...what is the current I that the computer sends? Is it classified as data, is it 01000010, or is it just a specific voltage? It seems to me that it would be charged electrons, not "data"

Data only exists after the CPU deciphers the minute voltage differences that the keyboard sends to it, correct..? = x

Then, assuming this is all right, what happens to the binary information from here? CPU firmware takes over and does what it does?

This is for an independent research term paper (due next month), but i want an idea as to how my research is going so far.

Thank you for reading

edit: basic conceptual question; does data exist only in a CPU or hard drive? "Data" is only electricity unless otherwise decoded?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Brown399 said:
edit: basic conceptual question; does data exist only in a CPU or hard drive? "Data" is only electricity unless otherwise decoded?

That's somewhat of a philosophical question. It's like asking "does a book contain a story if nobody is reading it?"

Brown399 said:
My understanding of a modern computer is as follows; 'information' is sent from a keyboard as current (I), this signal is sent to the CPU via the appropriate buses (in this instance, USB -> North Bridge -> main bus/cpu bus -> CPU), which is then recognized by a CPU via integrated circuit, and each transistor recognizes this current as "on or "off" (0 or 1).

My question:
...what is the current I that the computer sends? Is it classified as data, is it 01000010, or is it just a specific voltage? It seems to me that it would be charged electrons, not "data"

Data only exists after the CPU deciphers the minute voltage differences that the keyboard sends to it, correct..? = x

Then, assuming this is all right, what happens to the binary information from here? CPU firmware takes over and does what it does?

This is for an independent research term paper (due next month), but i want an idea as to how my research is going so far.

Thank you for reading

It's better to think in terms of voltages, rather than currents. Both are present, but information for the most part is represented by voltages inside the computer. The basic element is a "flip-flop" (FF), which is basically a 1-bit memory storage cell. In one form of logic, when the output of the FF is at 0 Volts, it is considered a logical "0". When the FF is in its other state, a logical "1", then its output voltage would be at 3.3 Volts (or whatever voltage the logic is running off of).

In case you haven't done much reading yet, check out the pages at HowStuffWorks.com about computers and related things:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/inside-computer.htm

If you have specific questions about your reading there or elsewhere, feel free to post your specific questions (and pointers to the reading) here.

For your specific example of a PC keyboard, there's a small cpu in the keyboard itself. It's constantly scanning the keys which are switches that are "closed" when keys are pressed. It then compares the results of each scan to a previous scan, noting any changes, such as a key pressed or released, then sends an encoded value for that event as a "scancode".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scancode

1. What is a computer bus and why is it important in data transfer?

A computer bus is a communication system that allows data to be transferred between different components of a computer, such as the CPU, memory, and peripherals. It is important because it enables the exchange of information between these components, allowing the computer to function properly.

2. How does data physically travel on a computer bus?

Data is transmitted on a computer bus through electrical signals. These signals are sent through the bus lines, which are physical connections between the components. The data is transferred in the form of binary code, which is represented by high and low voltage levels.

3. What are the different types of computer buses?

There are several types of computer buses, including the system bus, expansion bus, and external bus. The system bus connects the CPU, memory, and other internal components. The expansion bus is used to connect peripheral devices, such as graphics cards and hard drives. The external bus is used to connect external devices, such as printers and scanners.

4. What factors affect the speed of data transfer on a computer bus?

The speed of data transfer on a computer bus can be affected by several factors, including the clock speed, bus width, and data transfer protocol. The clock speed determines how fast the data is transferred, with higher clock speeds resulting in faster data transfer. The bus width refers to the number of data lines on the bus, with wider buses allowing for more data to be transferred at once. The data transfer protocol determines how the data is transmitted and received, and different protocols have different speeds.

5. How can data transfer on a computer bus be optimized?

Data transfer on a computer bus can be optimized by using high-quality components, such as bus lines and connectors, to minimize signal interference. Additionally, using a bus with a wider width and faster clock speed can increase the speed of data transfer. Properly managing the flow of data between components and using efficient data transfer protocols can also improve the overall performance of the computer bus.