Calculating expended energy in a battery

In summary, the question is asking how much energy a 42 V battery needs to charge a 3.62x10-6 F and a 6.11x10-6 F capacitor when they are connected in parallel. The total capacitance in parallel is the sum of the individual capacitances. The energy stored in a capacitor can be found using the formula U=Vq. However, the asker was getting incorrect answers and asked for help.
sdoyle1

Homework Statement

How much energy must a 42 V battery expend to fully charge a 3.62x10-6 F and a 6.11x10-6 F capacitor when they are placed in parallel?

Homework Equations

capacitor in parallel therefore total capacitance is the sum...

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that you could use U=Vq but apparently you can't because I was getting the wrong answers.. this is the same question that I tried to do before but with different values. HELP :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When in parallel, what is the total capacitance?

How do you find the energy stored in a capacitor?

Thank you so much!

1. How do you calculate the expended energy in a battery?

The expended energy in a battery can be calculated by multiplying the voltage of the battery by the total amount of current it has supplied during its usage. This can be expressed using the equation E = V x I, where E is the expended energy in joules, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes.

2. Is the expended energy in a battery the same as its capacity?

No, the expended energy in a battery refers to the amount of energy that has been used up during its discharge, while its capacity refers to the total amount of energy it can hold when fully charged. The capacity of a battery is typically measured in ampere-hours (Ah) or watt-hours (Wh), while the expended energy is measured in joules (J).

3. How does the type of battery affect the calculation of expended energy?

The type of battery can affect the calculation of expended energy due to differences in voltage and capacity. For example, a 12-volt lead-acid battery with a capacity of 100 Ah will have a higher expended energy compared to a 12-volt lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 100 Ah, as the lead-acid battery has a higher voltage. It is important to use the correct specifications for the specific type of battery being used.

4. Can the expended energy in a battery be recharged?

Yes, the expended energy in a battery can be recharged by supplying it with a higher voltage than its current level. This allows the battery to store energy and replenish its capacity. However, it is important to note that the expended energy cannot be fully recovered, as some energy is lost during the charging process due to heat and other factors.

5. How can the calculation of expended energy be used in practical applications?

The calculation of expended energy in a battery is important in various practical applications such as determining the battery life of electronic devices, estimating the range of electric vehicles, and optimizing the use of battery-powered equipment. It can also help in determining the appropriate battery size and type for a specific application to ensure efficient and reliable energy usage.