What is the proper format for a term paper in English Comp. class?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Term
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concern of proper formatting for a term paper in an English composition class. The speaker is seeking advice and recommendations for resources that could provide helpful examples and guidelines. They also mention not having taken an English class in 20 years and asking their teacher for guidance.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I realize that a physics website isn't the most applicable place for asking this question, but there are so many people here with a wide variety of knowledge that I'm hoping maybe someone could lend me some advice.

I am going to be writing a term paper for an English Comp. class in a few weeks. The thing I am most concerned about is the format of the paper - for instance, how to list my bibligraphy, where to apply footnotes, the appropriate way to reference my sources, etc.

If anyone could point me toward books or websites that might have helpful examples and guidelines I'd appreciate it. I haven't taken an English class in about 20 years :redface: so I need to refresh my memory.

Thanks a bunch,

MIH

Physics news on Phys.org
http://webster.commnet.edu/mla/index.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to decide which format to use for a term paper is to ask your teacher! He or she is, after all, the one that will grade it! Many colleges have a specific "style" required for all papers and give students a reference to it. Once again, if that is true, your teacher would be able to tell you. (Yes, it's embarassing to admit to your teacher you don't already know that, but it's better than messing up!)

Thanks Gza and Halls of Ivy! Much appreciated!

1. What is the correct format for a term paper?

The correct format for a term paper typically includes a title page, abstract, introduction, main body with headings and subheadings, conclusion, and references page. It is important to follow any specific formatting guidelines provided by your instructor or institution.

2. How should I structure my term paper?

A term paper should follow a clear and logical structure, starting with an introduction that introduces the topic and provides background information. The main body should present your arguments and evidence, while the conclusion should summarize your main points and provide a final thought or recommendation. Use headings and subheadings to organize your paper and make it easier to read.

3. What font and font size should I use for my term paper?

The most commonly used font for academic papers is Times New Roman, size 12. However, some instructors may prefer a different font, so it's best to check with them first. Regardless of the font, it should be easy to read and professional-looking.

4. How do I properly cite sources in my term paper?

Citing sources is an important aspect of writing a term paper. You should use a specific citation style, such as APA or MLA, and follow the guidelines for in-text citations and the references page. Make sure to give credit to all sources used in your paper to avoid plagiarism.

5. Can I use images or graphs in my term paper?

Yes, you can use images or graphs in your term paper to enhance your arguments or illustrate data. However, make sure to properly cite the source of the image or graph and follow any formatting guidelines provided by your instructor. The image or graph should also be relevant and contribute to the overall quality of your paper.