What is the Function of a Diode in Protecting an NPN Transistor?

In summary, the B-E junction must be protected from a high reverse voltage and a diode is used to provide this protection. Current can still flow from E to B through the diode, with a .6V voltage drop.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

The absolute max voltage rating for the base-emitter voltage is the lowest of all values. This low value means the B-E junction must be protected from a high reverse voltage. A diode is used for an npn transistor. Explain its function and conditions under which protection is given. Draw the equivalent circuit for pnp transistors

**see attached diagram**

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure about this one, but i know that because of the diode no current will flow from B to E through the diode due to the bias of the diode. However, it seems that current will still be able to flow from E to B through the diode, with a .6V voltage drop. Not really sure if I'm on the right track here or not... any help would be great!

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 586
Physics news on Phys.org
"...the B-E junction must be protected from a high reverse voltage", and you said, "...current will still be able to flow from E to B through the diode, with a .6V voltage drop".

0.6V seems like a pretty tame reverse voltage! So, how's the diode functioning?

Well it looks like since it is reverse bias when current is flowing from B, so it has to go through the transistor. When current flows from E back to B it is going through the diode which is forward biased, which will create a .6V drop in the voltage... which i think they said is already pretty low to begin with...

Don't know if this is what you were looking for :/

Suppose that there was a large negative voltage being applied at the base, perhaps from some large amplitude AC source on the negative portion of its cycle. If the diode were not there, what would be the maximum reverse bias (Base-Emitter voltage) that the transistor would see? How about with the diode in place?

Well without the diode, wouldn't there have to be a bigger voltage drop in the base-emitter junction? With the diode, wouldn't it drop some of that voltage so the junction doesn't have to drop it all?

dancergirlie said:
Well without the diode, wouldn't there have to be a bigger voltage drop in the base-emitter junction? With the diode, wouldn't it drop some of that voltage so the junction doesn't have to drop it all?

Yes, but not just some. What is the maximum reverse voltage that can occur across the base-emitter junction with the diode there? Remember, the base-emitter junction itself is reverse biased at this point, so it shouldn't be passing any current (it should "look" like an open circuit).

Well theoretically it should drop all of it :D, so the max should be zero with the diode

I realized that after I typed it...

So for the PNP would I just reverse the bias of the diode?

Yes!

The diode is acting as a voltage clamp for the B-E junction. It's preventing large negative excursions by shorting them out. Real diodes conduct at about 0.6V, so it's a 0.6V clamp.

Thanks so much, that makes sense!

However, am I right about the PNP being the other direction because then the current would be flowing in the opposite direction, so then the reverse current would be limited by a diode that is biased from B to E?

dancergirlie said:
Thanks so much, that makes sense!

However, am I right about the PNP being the other direction because then the current would be flowing in the opposite direction, so then the reverse current would be limited by a diode that is biased from B to E?

Yes. For a PNP configuration, the diode would be oriented in the opposite direction.

But it's the voltage that's being limited, not the current per say. The reverse current through the junction should be negligible because it's reverse biased (Well, we want it to be negligible! If the junction fails due to too high a reverse voltage, it will conduct and probably destroy the transistor).

Good catch :D

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

1. What is an NPN transistor with a diode?

An NPN transistor with a diode is a type of transistor that has both an NPN junction and a diode junction. This combination allows for the control of current flow through the transistor using the diode's characteristics.

2. How does an NPN transistor with a diode work?

The NPN transistor with a diode works by using the base-emitter junction of the transistor to control the current flow through the diode. When a voltage is applied to the base, it allows current to flow through the diode, effectively turning it on. This allows for precise control of the current flow through the transistor.

3. What are the advantages of using an NPN transistor with a diode?

One advantage of using an NPN transistor with a diode is that it allows for precise control of current flow, making it useful in applications such as amplifiers and oscillators. Additionally, the diode can help protect the transistor from voltage spikes and other transients.

4. What are the common uses of an NPN transistor with a diode?

NPN transistors with diodes are commonly used in electronic circuits for switching and amplifying signals. They are also used in power supplies, voltage regulators, and other applications that require precise control of current flow.

5. How do I choose the right NPN transistor with a diode for my project?

When selecting an NPN transistor with a diode for your project, consider the voltage and current requirements of your circuit, as well as the frequency at which the transistor will be operating. It is also important to choose a transistor with a diode that has a similar breakdown voltage as the circuit it will be used in.