Math major vs Math+Physics major

In summary, the person is currently a math major and is considering adding a physics major for their marketability in the job market and for admission to a top engineering graduate school. They are unsure if taking the extra classes for the physics major would be worth it and if it would leave them with enough time to take classes for fun. It is suggested that having a physics major may be beneficial for pursuing a graduate degree in physics or engineering, but it is important to consider what specific field within engineering they want to focus on. It is also recommended to potentially minor in engineering or physics to supplement their major.
brickcity
I am currently a B.S math major at a top 50 university. I wanted to know the advantages adding a B.A Physics major would have on my marketability job-wise and admission to a top engineering graduate school once I graduate.
I am thinking of adding the Physics major, but I'm not sure if taking the extra classes would be worth having a math+physics degree. If I add the physics major, I would be able to graduate on time, but it will leave virtually no room for me to take classes for fun. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
But physics classes are fun! :)

I guess it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to go to grad school for pure math, I imagine it wouldn't help that much. If you want to go to grad school for physics, well then it would probably help quite a bit.

If you're going to be an engineer, you'll need to take some physics and some engineering classes. I've heard of physicists getting into engineering in graduate school, but most of the math majors that go for engineering get into highly simulational or theoretical fields (perhaps in electrical or systems/industrial engineering). It'll be a good idea to try and get a minor in engineering or physics, if not a major. Also, since you won't have much time to take that many classes, you'll have to really figure out what exactly you want to do. If it's fluid mechanics then you really don't need to waste time with signal processing, for example.

1. What is the main difference between a Math major and a Math+Physics major?

The main difference between a Math major and a Math+Physics major is the focus of the curriculum. A Math major primarily focuses on pure mathematics, while a Math+Physics major incorporates both mathematics and physics courses into the curriculum.

2. Which major is more challenging?

Both majors are challenging in their own ways. A Math major requires a strong understanding of abstract concepts and proofs, while a Math+Physics major requires a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics principles.

3. Are there any career differences between the two majors?

While both majors can lead to a variety of career paths, a Math major may have more options in fields such as finance, data analysis, and computer science. A Math+Physics major may have more opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and academia.

4. Can you switch from one major to the other?

It is possible to switch from a Math major to a Math+Physics major, or vice versa, but it may require taking additional courses to fulfill the requirements of the new major. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any major changes.

5. Which major is better for graduate school?

Both majors can prepare students for graduate school, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and field of study. Some graduate programs may prefer applicants with a strong background in mathematics, while others may prefer a combination of mathematics and physics. It is important to research the requirements of the specific graduate programs you are interested in.