Probability of player winning a tennis match

In summary: P(W(4,2)) = 4 p^4q^2.Case 4: A win at (4,3). In order to get to (4,3), the score must reach (2,3) and then...you get the idea. P(W(4,3)) = 4 p^4q^3.Case 5: A loss at (4,0). Obviously
Bobmek
Hey guys, this is just a problem I have been playing around with in my spare time, but it occurs to me that someone might have been working on this before. So I figured I'd ask the wonderful people here for help. The problem is:

Assume that the probability of player A winning a point is p and the probability of player B winning a point is q=1-p. What is the the probability P(p) of Player A winning a 3 set match?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]p^3 + 3 p^2 q[/tex]

awkward said:
[tex]p^3 + 3 p^2 q[/tex]
You've given the probability of winning a 3 point game, not a 3 set match.

mathman said:
You've given the probability of winning a 3 point game, not a 3 set match.
You're right, I wasn't paying attention to the whole match/game/point thing. The answer I gave would be correct if p were the probability of winning a game.

Finding the probability of winning a game from the probability of winning a point is the more complex question.

Hmm couple of thoughts.

For a each game you could describe it as a binomial tree going from (0,0) to (15,0) or (0,15) and so on. Of course you will have to remove the paths that are no longer feasible once the game has been won. Then you will have to take into account that at 40,40 you either move to a node either (adv,40) or (40,adv) from which you either move back to (40,40) or the game ends which i'd solve by conditioning.

Similar idea would then allow you to work from 0,0 games to (1,0) or (0,1). Including the possibility of a tie break and the prob of winning a tie break.

What have you come up with so far?

Bobmek said:
Hey guys, this is just a problem I have been playing around with in my spare time, but it occurs to me that someone might have been working on this before. So I figured I'd ask the wonderful people here for help. The problem is:

Assume that the probability of player A winning a point is p and the probability of player B winning a point is q=1-p. What is the the probability P(p) of Player A winning a 3 set match?

Sounds like you could use a variation of the Gambler's ruin problem and apply it in this context. Basically you would find the probability of one player ruining against another and use that as a basis for seeing the probability of person a or b winning the set.

You need to deal with the fact that games or sets can last arbitrarily long.

If the game-score is 30-30 or deuce or 5-5 in a tiebreak, there's a probabilty of p^2 that you win the next 2 games, and a probability of 2pq that the games get shared.
If the probablity to win when at deuce is D, then you have

D = p^2 + 2pqD

Once you have D it is easy to calculate the probabilities at 40-30 or advantage,
you win with probability p, or get to a deuce with probabiltiy q.

Finally you can draw a finite tree that must end in a -0 win, -15 win, advantage,
deuce, disadvantage or a loss, and sum the winning probabilities of all those.
You'll get a larger tree for a tie break

And once you have that you can do the same for the set scores.
I doubt that the result would fit on a single page, altough finding
P_game(p), P_tiebreak(p) and then P_set(P_game, P_tiebreak) and
P_match(P_set) is doable.

This is an example of a problem that is a hassle to analytically calculate, but trivial to simulate given an explicit value for p.

Ok -- here is a plot with

Y
% games won in green
% sets won in orange
% matches won in blue

X
% chance to win the point

Sorry for the bumpiness from low sampling, but I don't have time to remake it with higher stats.

Attachments

• tennis.jpg
    tennis.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 589
If your probability of winning a point is [tex]p[/tex] and your opponent's probability of winning is [tex]q=1-p[/tex], then the probability of your winning a tennis game is

[tex]p^4 + 4 p^4q + 10 p^4q^2 + 20 p^5q^3 + \frac{40p^6q^4}{1-2pq}[/tex]

In order to win, you must win at least 4 points and be 2 points ahead. Let [tex]W(x,y)[/tex] be the event that you win with a score of x points (you) to y (your opponent). We break your possible wins into 5 cases.

Case 1: A win at (4,0). Clearly
[tex]P(W(4,0)) = p^4[/tex].

Case 2: A win at (4,1). In order to get to (4,1), the score must reach (3,1) and then you must win a point. To reach (3,1) is a Binomial event with probability [tex]C(4,1)p^3q[/tex]; so
[tex]P(W(4,1)) = 4 p^4q[/tex].

Case 3: A win at (4,2). In order to get to (4,2), the score must reach (3,2) and then you must win a point. The probability of reaching (3,2) is [tex]C(5,2)p^3q^2[/tex]; so

[tex]P(W(4,2)) = 10p^4q^2[/tex].

Case 4: A win at (5,3). In order to get to (5,3), the score must reach (3,3) and then you must win 2 points. The probability of reaching (3,3) is [tex]C(6,3)p^3q^3[/tex]; so

[tex]P(W(5,3)) = 20 p^5q^3[/tex]

Case 5: A win after the score reaches (4,4). In order to reach (4,4), the score must reach (3,3) and you and your opponent must each win one point. The probability of reaching (3,3) is [tex]C(6,3)p^3q^3[/tex]; the probability that you will each win one of the next two points is [tex]C(2,1)pq[/tex]; and the probability that you will win once the score hits (4,4) is [tex]\frac{p^2}{1-2pq}[/tex] (an exercise left for the reader). So the probability of a win in Case 5 is
[tex]\frac{40 p^6q^4}{1-2pq}[/tex].

Adding the probabilities for cases 1-5 results in
[tex]P(\text{you win}) =p^4 + 4 p^4q + 10 p^4q^2 + 20 p^5q^3 + \frac{40p^6q^4}{1-2pq}[/tex]

1. What factors are considered in determining the probability of a player winning a tennis match?

The probability of a player winning a tennis match is influenced by a variety of factors, including the player's skill level, physical fitness, mental state, playing style, and past performance. Other factors that may play a role include the playing surface, weather conditions, and the opponent's skill level.

2. How is the probability of a player winning a tennis match calculated?

The probability of a player winning a tennis match is calculated by using statistical methods and algorithms that take into account the various factors mentioned above. These methods often involve analyzing past performance data and comparing it to current match conditions to make a prediction.

3. Can the probability of a player winning a tennis match change during the course of the match?

Yes, the probability of a player winning a tennis match can change throughout the match. This can happen due to factors such as momentum shifts, injuries, or changes in weather conditions. As the match progresses, the probability of winning may increase or decrease based on how well the player is performing.

4. How accurate are the predictions of the probability of a player winning a tennis match?

The accuracy of the predictions of the probability of a player winning a tennis match varies depending on the methods and data used to make the prediction. Generally, the more data and factors that are taken into account, the more accurate the prediction will be. However, there is always a level of uncertainty with any prediction, as unexpected events can occur during a match.

5. Can the probability of a player winning a tennis match be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as crowd support, player fatigue, and injuries can potentially affect the probability of a player winning a tennis match. These factors may not be accounted for in the initial calculations and can impact the outcome of the match. Additionally, a player's mental state and confidence can also play a role in the probability of winning a match.