1 wire power transmission using coils.

In summary, the orange wire must be a loop for current to be induced in it. The changing B field will push the electrons in the orange wire.
pete20r2
Hello Physicists,
I am doing my final year of High School in Australia and our current topic is magnetism and related fields.

Physics is my favorite subject after maths and I tend to query a lot of things.

Here is my basic Idea:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35270&stc=1&d=1304772248.png

My basic instinct tells me that the orange wire must be a loop, so a current can be induced in it. If not, what are the comparisons between this wire and an Antenna?

Attachments

• power.png
    power.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you would need it to be a loop. The changing B field will push the electrons in the orange wire . It will be similar to producing a hall voltage in a conductor moving in a B field.

"hall voltage in a conductor moving in a B field."
I did not understand any of that, can you please elaborate?

There would be no current induced in a wire that runs along the axis of one coil because the fields aren't in the right direction, I'm afraid.

My bad. Is this because the induced E field is in the phi direction.

Are you messing with me, I say I do not understand, and you say something more complex.

No I am not messing with you. the Ac current in the first loop will create a B field in the direction of the orange wire . And a changing B field will induce an E field . This induced E field will be in the direction of the current in a circular direction around the orange wire and won't cause electrons to flow in the orange wire. My first post was wrong. Maybe coil
the orange wire inside the black wire like a transformation then it will push the electrons.

So will something like this work:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35294&stc=1&d=1304840959.jpg

Attachments

• coils.jpg
    coils.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 427
Yes i think that would work .

pete20r2 said:
Are you messing with me, I say I do not understand, and you say something more complex.

The word "no" isn't complex. The reason why not, however, may be. Some of these questions don't have easy answers and there may be no point in looking for one.

pete20r2 said:
So will something like this work:
attachment.php?attachmentid=35294&stc=1&d=1304840959.jpg

If you connected each end of the green coils together then you'd effectively have two transformers. Sling in some laminatediron cores to increase the magneticic fields and you would be describing the usual arrangement - which works,

I only want 1 wire to connect the two systems, that is the only condition.

So the least complex answer has to be NO.
E X C E P T if you use a high enough frequency, in which case you will have two loop antennae (the two red coils) so you may as well throw away the green ones and your single wire.
All this electromagnetic stuff works because of the angles between currents, electric fields and magnetic fields. Coils in the same plane or with their planes parallel will couple because the magnetic fields of each will 'coincide'. etc. etc.

ok, thankyou.

1. What is 1 wire power transmission using coils?

1 wire power transmission using coils is a method of transferring electrical power wirelessly by using a single wire and a pair of coils. It involves the use of electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one coil to another without the need for a physical connection.

2. How does 1 wire power transmission using coils work?

This method works by generating an alternating magnetic field in the transmitting coil, which induces a current in the receiving coil. The alternating current in the receiving coil can then be used to power a device or charge a battery.

3. What are the advantages of 1 wire power transmission using coils?

One of the main advantages is its ability to transfer power without the need for a physical connection. This makes it convenient for powering devices in hard-to-reach places or for devices that need to be mobile. It also eliminates the need for multiple wires and connectors, reducing the risk of accidents and simplifying the design.

4. Are there any limitations to 1 wire power transmission using coils?

One limitation is the distance between the coils, as the efficiency of power transfer decreases as the distance increases. Additionally, the power transfer is affected by environmental factors such as metal objects or other electromagnetic signals in the vicinity.

5. How is 1 wire power transmission using coils different from traditional wired power transmission?

The main difference is the lack of a physical connection between the power source and the device being powered. Traditional wired power transmission requires a direct connection, while 1 wire power transmission using coils relies on electromagnetic induction to transfer energy wirelessly. This also means that there is no need for multiple wires and connectors, making the system simpler and more convenient.