Calculating Stopping Force for a 850kg Car at 110km/h | Physics Question

• Thread starter physicsgrade11
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the constant force required to bring a car with a mass of 850kg, moving at a constant speed of 110km/h, to a stop in 10.0 seconds. It can be solved using the formula F_{avg}\Delta t = m\delta v or by using kinematics and Newton's 2nd law. The wording of the question may have caused some confusion, as it is asking for the magnitude of the force, not the type of force.
physicsgrade11
ok here is the question exaclty- its worth 5 marks so i don't know what I am missing..

A car with a mass of 850kg is moving in a straight line at a constant speed of 110km/h. It is brought to rest in 10.0s. What constant force is acting to stop the car?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]F_{avg}\Delta t = m\delta v[/tex]

Looks like an impulse question.

Thanks anyways guys but i got it. I think i was thinking it was asking what force as in friction or wind etc. was stopping it but its asking the force it would take to stop it in that time.

If you are not familiar with impulse/momentum, you can always use kinematics to find the acceleration, then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the force.

Good point...I guess they should have said "determine the magnitude of the constant force that brings the car to a stop".

1. What is a poorly worded question?

A poorly worded question is a question that is unclear, confusing, or incomplete, making it difficult for the person answering to understand what is being asked.

2. How can a poorly worded question affect research?

A poorly worded question can affect research by leading to inaccurate or unreliable data. It can also waste time and resources as the researcher may need to clarify or reword the question to get the desired information.

3. What are some common mistakes in wording questions?

Some common mistakes in wording questions include using complex or technical language, using double negatives, asking multiple questions in one, or using biased or leading language.

4. How can I avoid asking poorly worded questions?

To avoid asking poorly worded questions, it is important to be clear and concise in your language, avoid jargon or technical terms, ask only one question at a time, and ensure the question is neutral and unbiased.

5. Can a poorly worded question be fixed?

Yes, a poorly worded question can usually be fixed by rewording it to be more clear and concise. It may also be helpful to have someone else review the question to ensure it is easily understandable.