An appropriate replacement for oxygen in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of measuring oxygen concentrations in water and asks for advice on finding a replacement gas that can be measured more easily. Two potential methods for measuring oxygen concentrations are mentioned: the Winkler Method and an electrochemical sensor.
hazzna
I am trying to model the behavior of oxygen in water. However there is so little oxygen in water I don't think I could measure concentrations of it experimentally.

Does anyone have advice on what I might be able to use as a replacement for oxygen?

I need to find something (a gas?) that is more soluble in water then oxygen, which is of similar size to O2, which I can more easily measure experimentally.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is an appropriate replacement for oxygen in water?

An appropriate replacement for oxygen in water is hydrogen peroxide. It is a powerful oxidizing agent that can provide the necessary oxygen for aquatic life.

2. Why is oxygen necessary in water?

Oxygen is necessary in water for the survival of aquatic organisms. It is used for respiration, metabolism, and other important cellular processes.

3. How does the lack of oxygen affect aquatic life?

The lack of oxygen in water, also known as hypoxia, can lead to a decrease in aquatic life. Organisms may become stressed, suffocate, or even die due to the lack of oxygen necessary for survival.

4. Can other gases be used as a replacement for oxygen in water?

Yes, other gases such as nitrogen and carbon dioxide can be used as a replacement for oxygen in water. However, they are not as effective as hydrogen peroxide and may have negative impacts on aquatic life.

5. Is the use of hydrogen peroxide safe for aquatic life?

Yes, when used properly and in appropriate concentrations, hydrogen peroxide is safe for aquatic life. However, it is important to follow guidelines and regulations set by environmental agencies to ensure the safety of all organisms in the water.