Did past technical experience + physics degree help you get the job?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's situation of having 15 years of experience in manufacturing and two technical diplomas, but being laid off and deciding to go back to school for a degree in Physics. They are hoping to get an engineering job in the manufacturing field and are curious if others have been in a similar situation and if their past technical experience and education helped them in their job search. The conversation also brings up the question of why the speaker doesn't study engineering if they want a job in that field. The response suggests that the speaker's technical experience may actually be beneficial in their job search and questions why they chose to study physics instead of engineering.
Jody7818
Did past "technical experience" + "physics degree" help you get the job?

Reading another posting on this forum got me to thinking, and I want to see if anyone else here was in the same situation as I am.

I have 15 years experience in manufacturing and 2 technical diplomas: Machine Tool Technology and Mechanical Drafting. I was laid off last year (I was a tool and die maker) and decided to go back to school for Physics. I'm hoping to get an engineering job in a manufacturing field. I was wondering if anybody else on this forum has been in the same situation I'm currently in. Did your past technical experience, schooling, and skills make it easier for you to land an engineering job (or any type of physics related job)?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not in your position, first off. But I can't see how your technical experience will hurt you in your job search, and in fact it could be a big help.

But, just curious - if you want a job as a manufacturing engineer, why don't you study engineering?

I have been able to stay employed for the past 40yrs, my physics degree never hurt, but it was my technician experience which got me the job.

lisab said:
...why don't you study engineering?

I'm considering it...

As a scientist with a physics degree and past technical experience, I can definitely say that these factors played a significant role in helping me secure a job in my field. Having a physics degree shows that you have a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of science and a strong analytical and problem-solving skills. This is highly valued in many industries, including engineering and manufacturing.

Additionally, my past technical experience gave me hands-on experience and practical knowledge in the field, which is highly sought after by employers. It also demonstrated my ability to apply theoretical concepts in a real-world setting.

Combining these two factors, I was able to showcase my skills and knowledge during the job application and interview process, which ultimately helped me stand out among other candidates.

However, it's important to note that while having a physics degree and past technical experience can be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines whether someone will get a job. Other factors, such as relevant work experience, networking, and personal qualities, also play a significant role in the job search process.

Overall, I believe that my past technical experience and physics degree were important factors in helping me secure a job, but it was also a combination of other factors that ultimately led to my success.

1. How did your past technical experience contribute to your success in getting the job?

Having past technical experience allowed me to hit the ground running in the job, as I was already familiar with many of the tools and concepts needed for the role. This helped me stand out as a candidate and gave me an advantage during the interview process.

2. Did your physics degree play a significant role in getting the job?

Yes, my physics degree provided me with a solid foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It also demonstrated my ability to handle complex concepts and solve problems, which were important to the employer.

3. How did you showcase your technical experience and physics degree during the hiring process?

I highlighted my technical experience and physics degree in my resume and cover letter, emphasizing specific projects and skills that were relevant to the job. I also used examples from my coursework and internships during the interview to demonstrate my qualifications and abilities.

4. Were there any specific technical skills or knowledge from your past experience and degree that were particularly helpful in getting the job?

Yes, my experience with data analysis and programming languages such as Python and MATLAB were highly beneficial for the job. Additionally, my knowledge of physics principles, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, were relevant to the industry and gave me an advantage over other candidates.

5. How did you leverage your past technical experience and physics degree to stand out among other applicants?

I made sure to highlight specific achievements and projects from my past experience and degree that were relevant to the job and demonstrated my skills and capabilities. I also emphasized my passion for the field and how my background has prepared me for success in the role.