Charge Pumps -Query - Ripple Vs Switching Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and testing of a Dickson's charge pump for a voltage doubler circuit. The results show that increasing the switching frequency decreases the output ripple, while decreasing the load resistance increases the output ripple. Lowering the switching frequency requires a higher load resistance for reasonable output. Increasing the charge pump capacitance decreases the settling time and output voltage. The best results are achieved with a width of 240nm for all frequencies. It is believed that the increase in width may be limited by the power dissipation and capacitance of the FET. The maximum limiting frequency is not mentioned. The number of stages in the charge pump is related to the frequency, capacitance, and load. The settling time for effective operation
shaikss
Hi Folks,

I tried designing a Dickson's charge pump.
Here are the below observations:

For a voltage doubler:

When W=240nm, charge pump capacitance= load capacitance= 1p F, load resistance= 10M ohm, Switching frequency=500k Hz, Vin=2V

Results:

Vout= 4.3772V, settling time= 50u s (4.3366V).
Here settling time refers to time at which output have a constant value.

1. I tried to increase the switching frequency to 500M Hz, peak of output voltage ripple is slightly decreasing.

2. Decreasing the load resistance resulted in the increase of output ripple.
3. When I try to lower the switching frequency, the load resistance required to have reasonable output is increasing.

4. With constant load resistance: if load capacitance increases then settling time increases and ripple decreases but output is same.
5. With constant load capacitance: if load resistance decreases then output decreases and ripple increases but settling time is same.

6. with an increase in the charge pump capacitance, settling time and output voltage decreases.

7. With an increase in 'w' of nmos : best results are coming for 240n M for all the frequencies. I assumed that the with the increase in 'W', best results will come. But best results are coming for 240nm width.

Can you explain me the reason behind all the seven observations?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
shaikss said:
Hi Folks,

I tried designing a Dickson's charge pump.
Here are the below observations:

For a voltage doubler:

When W=240nm, charge pump capacitance= load capacitance= 1p F, load resistance= 10M ohm, Switching frequency=500k Hz, Vin=2V

Results:

Vout= 4.3772V, settling time= 50u s (4.3366V).
Here settling time refers to time at which output have a constant value.

1. I tried to increase the switching frequency to 500M Hz, peak of output voltage ripple is slightly decreasing.

By switching the capacitors faster, you are reducing their "switching resistance" which can be derived by the change in charge over the switching time (current). So as the switching time decreases, the change in charge over a given amount of time increases such that its resistance is dropping. This "Switching resistance" is in series with the charge pump capacitors and so they form an RC circuit. As the switching frequency increases, this RC time constant decreases and so more current is able to be supplied to the load resistor, and thus less ripple occurs.

2. Decreasing the load resistance resulted in the increase of output ripple.

By decreasing the load resistance, you need more current to give the same voltage output, and so you're discharging and charging your charge pump capacitors a lot more now each cycle. This means their voltage is changing more each cycle and so your output ripple is increased.

3. When I try to lower the switching frequency, the load resistance required to have reasonable output is increasing.

This is just sort of a combination of my answers for 1 and 2. Lowering the switching frequency reduces the amount of current you can supply to your charge pump capacitors, and so you need to increase your load resistance so that you require less current drawn from the capacitors.

4. With constant load resistance: if load capacitance increases then settling time increases and ripple decreases but output is same.

You have to just consider a load capacitance as a capacitor in series with your charge pump, and your charge pump has a series resistance determined by the switching frequency. Increasing C increases the time constant.

5. With constant load capacitance: if load resistance decreases then output decreases and ripple increases but settling time is same.
Again, the load resistor is increasing current draw, which means the charging capacitors need to fill/discharge more current each cycle which causes more ripple. The output decreases most likely because the charge pump capacitors are drained so much each cycle that they never fully charge and the load capacitor is acting like an "impedance voltage divider" with the charge capacitors.

6. with an increase in the charge pump capacitance, settling time and output voltage decreases.

By increasing the charge pump capacitance, you are able to supply more current to the load. Output voltage may increase because your are switching so fast and your load is drawing the current before the charge pump capacitors can ever charge to full voltage.

7. With an increase in 'w' of nmos : best results are coming for 240n M for all the frequencies. I assumed that the with the increase in 'W', best results will come. But best results are coming for 240nm width.

I don't have time to think about this question, but my own experience with FETs in the charge pump is that there is a maximum practical frequency where you stop gaining current throughput with frequency increase, and my thoughts are that this is limited by the power disipation of the FET. Once you reach a certain frequency, your FET is dissipating any extra current you can supply when it is in the triode mode during its imperfect switches. My only hint/thought is that your increase in W will decrease the Rds which allows for more current throughput for your FET, but it will also increase its capacitance which lowers the charging voltage for your charge pump capacitors since they're in series. I know this doesn't anwer your question, but it is the only relevant information I can give you quickly about FETs in charge pumps. I'd have to study the question a bit to give you a better answer.

Last edited:
Thanks Dragon petter. Can you please give your thought on the last query.
Increasing the width of the MOS increases the current and so the voltage.
But I am not figuring out the reason why the increase in the width of MOS is limited the frequency? What are the different reasons for this behaviour?

What should be the maximum limiting frequency?

How are the parameters like frequency, capacitance , load related to the number of stages of Charge Pump used?

Generally how much should be the settling time? If I am sending a RF signal to the receiver part at 865MHz and that ac signal is rectified and then given to ChargePump. Based on this criterion, what should be the settling time for effective operation of the IC?

Last edited:

1. What is a charge pump?

A charge pump is an electronic circuit that uses capacitors to generate a higher or lower voltage from a given input voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable and regulated power supply.

2. How does a charge pump work?

A charge pump works by using a series of switching elements, such as transistors, to alternate between charging and discharging capacitors. This creates a net voltage increase or decrease, depending on the configuration, which is then regulated and supplied to the output.

3. What is ripple in a charge pump?

Ripple in a charge pump refers to the small fluctuations in the output voltage that occur due to the switching elements. These fluctuations are undesirable and can affect the performance of electronic devices, so minimizing ripple is an important consideration in charge pump design.

4. What is switching frequency in a charge pump?

Switching frequency in a charge pump refers to how often the switching elements toggle between charging and discharging the capacitors. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and can greatly impact the efficiency and performance of a charge pump.

5. What is the relationship between ripple and switching frequency in a charge pump?

The relationship between ripple and switching frequency in a charge pump is inversely proportional. This means that as the switching frequency increases, the ripple decreases. However, there is a limit to this relationship as higher switching frequencies can also lead to other issues such as increased power consumption and heat generation.