A pendulum impact hammer setting objects off on a frictionless surface.

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a crude pendulum impact device for measuring initial velocities of objects on a frictionless surface. The method involves calculating the energy transferred during a collision and relies on a needle that follows the motion of the pendulum. The question of what happens when the mass of the pendulum is lower than the object on the surface is also raised, and it is determined that the pendulum will bounce back in the opposite direction in an elastic collision. The most efficient transfer of energy occurs when the pendulum mass is equal to the target object. The conversation concludes with a question about how to show this by theory and a mention of the person's struggle with understanding momentum equations.
adamxrt
Hi,I want to design a crude pendulum impact device which i can use to measure initial velocities of objects on a frictionless surface. i.e measure energy at the start and end of the pendulums swing, to see how much has been absorbed into the impact.

Heres my question about momentum on frictionless surface. Picture the pendulum at its NORMAL position, potential energy is zero, kinetic is maximum, we calculate the velocity of the pendulums hammer using 1/2mv^2. At this point is also when it collides with the object on the flat frictionless surface.
EDIT(this is obviously after the pendulum has been let go from rest at an angle, an dhas just reached the normal position)
If the mass of pendulum is equal to the mass of the object on the surface, we would simply have a situation where the pendulum exchanges its velocity into the object on the frictionless surface, and then is at rest.

Is this true?

if so then what happens when the mass of the pendulum is LOWER than the mass of the object on the frictionless surface? Does it bounce back in the opposite direction?

lets say the distance from the center of the pendulum is 0.2m from its pivot.
The method i am using to calculate the difference in energy from the pendulums wing, is measuring the angle of fall and the angle of rise, to calculate initial potential energy, and final potential energy, to find the amount of energy transferred to kinetic energy in the collision.

This relies on a "trailblazer" needle that rests at normal, but follows the angle of the pendulum on its motion in the angle of rise.

I don't want a situation where the pendulum mass bounces back in the direction of its swing. Theroretically this shouldn't happen?

I always want the mass to swing though a decent angle into the rise tho that it can be measured by the "trailblazer" allowing the person conducting the experiment to calculate energy transfer properly.Lets say the lowest mass of the object on the frictionless surface will be 0.3kg. What sort of minimum mass should i have as my pendulum hammer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, if the pendulum mass is less than the target, then it will bounce back, assuming an elastic collision. To most efficiently transfer the energy, the pendulum mass should be equal to the target.

Ok, thanks for that. How do i show this by theory though? May sound stupid but I've always been dodgy with my understanding of the momentum equations.

1. What is a pendulum impact hammer?

A pendulum impact hammer is a device used in scientific experiments to simulate the impact of a falling object on a surface. It consists of a pendulum arm with a weight at the end, which is released from a specific height to create an impact on the surface below.

2. How does a pendulum impact hammer work?

The pendulum impact hammer works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as the weight falls from a specific height. When the weight hits the surface, it transfers its energy to the object, causing it to move or deform.

3. What is the purpose of using a frictionless surface in a pendulum impact hammer experiment?

A frictionless surface is used in a pendulum impact hammer experiment to eliminate the effects of friction, which can affect the accuracy of the results. This allows for a more controlled and precise measurement of the impact force.

4. What types of objects can be tested using a pendulum impact hammer?

A pendulum impact hammer can be used to test a wide range of objects, including materials, structures, and mechanical components. It is commonly used in engineering and materials science to study the impact resistance and durability of various materials.

5. What are the potential applications of a pendulum impact hammer?

A pendulum impact hammer has many potential applications, including testing the safety of products, evaluating the strength of materials, and studying the impact of natural disasters on structures. It can also be used in research and development to improve the design and performance of various products and materials.