Is a Subset of a Linearly Dependent Set Linearly Dependent?

In summary: A} is linearly independent then so is V'=\{v_1}. But {A} is not necessarily linearly independant, so there must be a way to prove it.
EvLer
I HAVE searched the threads before posting this but I didn't find the same question.
Anyway, the question is T-F:

A subset of linearly dependent set is linearly dependent.

I think it is F, because for non-zero linearly dep. set a proof can be constructed so that some matrices can have non-zero coefficient while the other matrices -- a zero coefficient.
But among those that have a zero coeff. (or if a subset is defined as some elements of zero-coeff. subset and non-zero-coeff.) there may not be a linear dependence necessarily.
Is my proof/reasoning correct?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example of a linearly dependant set with only one member?

Yeah, {0}...
So, I guess, you are leading me to the conclusion that the statement is actually true, but isn't this {0} case kind of a 'special' case?
Not always one is going to have a set with {0} as a subset.
I am just starting a linear algebra course, and if my reasoning is off, how would you suggest looking at problems like this?
Calculus was a lot of fun, and I see Linear Algebra is different in way of approach...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Actually you need to figure out whether the question you are asking is about linearly dependant or linearly independant sets of vectors. (The title and question don't match.)

If the question is about linearly dependant sets of vectors then obviously any non-zero vector by itself is a linearly independant subset - so it's false.

I can't really follow your reasoning and don't have any comprehension what you mean by "matrix can have a zero coefficient". I would be inclined to say that you may have the right notion, but you need to express it more rigorously and clearly.

OK,
question is the same (T-F):

A subset of linearly dependent set is linearly dependent.

The reason I posted it as 'IN'dependent is because I think it is independent, but not sure, hence, question mark.
So...hopefully more clear:

Let's say S = {A1, A2, A3, ..., An} set of matrices M(n, m). An element of C is lin.dep. on S if
C = b1A1 + b2A2 + b3A3 + ... + bnAn. (this is straight out of the book)
And let's say for example, b1 = 0, and b2 = 0 holds for this to be true.

Now, let's say G = {A1, A2} (G is subset of S), I think that it is not necessarily the case that there is V such that V is lin.dep. on G, since b1A1 = 0 and b2A2 = 0 in order to prove C lin.dep. on S (above).
Am I off?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm not quite following you.

Let's say we have a set of vectors [itex]V[/itex] then [itex]V[/itex] is saild to be linearly dependant if there is a solution for:
[tex]v_i=\sum_{j\ne i} a_jv_j[/tex]

That is, if one of the vectors in [itex]V[/itex] can be represented as a sum of the others.

Now, consider the following set of vectors [itex]V=\{v_1,v_2=2v_1\}[/itex] where [itex]v_1 \ne \vec{0}[/itex]. Clearly, this is a linearly dependant set of vectors, but [itex]V'=\{v_1\}[/itex] is linearly independant. Therefore the statement is false.

NateTG said:
That is, if one of the vectors in [itex]V[/itex] can be represented as a sum of the others.
Yes!
NateTG said:
Now, consider the following set of vectors [itex]V=\{v_1,v_2=2v_1\}[/itex] where [itex]v_1 \ne \vec{0}[/itex]. Clearly, this is a linearly dependant set of vectors, but [itex]V'=\{v_1\}[/itex] is linearly independant. Therefore the statement is false.
And that is what I have been trying to say... in a different way...
Thanks a lot.

You were thinking correctly with your "special case" before. Any set of vectors containing the 0 vector is dependent. Now, start with an independent set and append 0 to it. That set is dependent because it contains 0. Can you think of a subset that is not dependent?

HallsofIvy said:
Any set of vectors containing the 0 vector is dependent. Now, start with an independent set and append 0 to it. That set is dependent because it contains 0. Can you think of a subset that is not dependent?
Yeah, I guess, I can come up with examples. But what I am wondering about is what NateTG said: V'={v1}, v1 != 0 and V' is independent.
So, if a set V = {A, 0}, where A = [5 5 5] matrix, how do I prove that {A} is linearly independent. For {0} I just kind of took it as a given, but I do not know how this is proved.

Thanks again!

Well, a somewhat better equation that the one I gave would be to say that a non-empty set of vectors [itex]V[/itex] is linearly independant if
[tex]\vec{0}=\sum_{\vec{v}_i \in V} a_i \vec{v_i} \Rightarrow a_i=0 \forall a_i[/tex]
That is, the only linear combination of the vectors in the set that adds up to the zero vector is all of the vectors multiplied by zero.

Then, for your example, you could solve
[0 0 0]=a [5 5 5]
to show that 'a' must be zero.

What is a subset linearly independent?

A subset linearly independent refers to a subset of vectors in a vector space that are linearly independent. This means that none of the vectors in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset.

How is subset linearly independent different from linearly independent?

Subset linearly independent refers to a specific subset of vectors in a vector space, while linearly independent refers to all vectors in a vector space. A set of vectors can be linearly independent, but its subset may not be linearly independent.

Why is subset linearly independent important?

Subset linearly independent is important in linear algebra as it helps determine the dimension of a vector space. It also plays a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the fundamental concepts of vector spaces.

How can you check if a given subset is linearly independent?

To check if a given subset is linearly independent, you can perform Gaussian elimination or use the definition of linear independence, which states that a set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if the only solution to the equation a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn = 0 is a1 = a2 = ... = an = 0.

Can a subset of linearly independent vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a subset of linearly independent vectors can be linearly dependent. This can happen if one or more vectors in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset.