Frustrated Physics Student in Spain: How Do My US Grad School Chances Look?

In summary, the speaker received frustrating grades for their 3rd year physics courses in Spain, where the grading system is different from the US. They are concerned about their chances of admission into US grad schools and are considering emailing universities for more information. They are also planning to take the pGRE and TOEFL exams and have good recommendation letters from professors in their field.
Lavabug
I recently got back my final marks for the first half of my courses (3rd year physics in Spain) and am getting a little frustrated at the fact that my marks don't reflect the work I've put into them. Grades in my country's system work as follows:

"Aprobado" (5.0-6.9/10)
"Notable" (7.0-8.9/10)
"Sobresaliente" (9.0-10/10)
"Matricula de Honor" (10/10 and top 5%, entirely up to the prof's discretion).

I've already gotten some frustrating results where I end up getting something in the high 6's, but the "aprobado"/passed label it gets makes it look indistinguishable from a bare pass (5.0). My transcript will show the numerical grade however.

I have long been searching for grade equivalences between US and Spanish universities but I have never come across anything official, so for now I'm assuming that my GPA translates into something "mediocre" by US standards (just below a 7.0 average), but I have taken several graduate level courses (and will take several more) as part of my curriculum and will be doing a final year thesis under a department head in my chosen field at a top 10 UK institution next year.

I'm very serious about applying to US grad schools next year (thinking several state schools with programs in astrophysics/physics, have about 7 in mind) and will soon begin preparing for the pGRE which I'm confident I can do well in. I'm going to have to pool a lot of resources I don't really have into it... and I'd really like to know what my chances are if I can do above average on the pGRE (and GRE, and I'll also be taking the TOEFL as although I grew up in the US, my university is not English-speaking, so it is required). I will be getting some good rec letters from profs in the field including my final year project adviser.

How does my situation look? Am I risking pooling a ton of money with zero chances of admission into 7-8 schools, even if I do well in the pGRE? I'm a legal US resident, does that give my chances of admission a boost compared to other foreign applicants who require a visa?

Is it a good idea to email universities directly about my concerns? Perhaps ask if they've ever admitted students from my country and with what grades/pGRE grades? I'm fairly desperate here and I really don't have a clue what my chances are. I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Express your concerns on PhysicsGRE.com. Something tells me there's more people who've just taken the PGRE or applied to grad school there...

(I haven't started college yet, so take this with a pinch of salt...) I reckon it would be sensible if you mention the level of the courses you've taken somewhere on the application and also the grading system. If your rank, with respect to the rest of the graduating class is good, then that could probably work in your favour as well.

1. What are the requirements for graduate school in the US?

The specific requirements for graduate school in the US vary depending on the program and university. However, in general, most programs will require a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and relevant research or work experience. It is important to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in.

2. How do my grades in Spain compare to those in the US?

Grading systems can vary greatly between countries, so it can be difficult to make direct comparisons. However, most universities in the US use a 4.0 GPA scale, with 4.0 being the highest possible grade. It is important to have your grades evaluated by a credential evaluation service to determine how they may be viewed by US universities.

3. Do I need to take the GRE for graduate school in the US?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is commonly required for admission to graduate programs in the US. However, not all programs or universities require the GRE, so it is important to research the specific requirements for the programs you are interested in.

4. Do I need to speak English fluently for graduate school in the US?

Most graduate programs in the US require international students to demonstrate proficiency in English through standardized tests such as the TOEFL or IELTS. However, some programs may waive this requirement if the student has completed their undergraduate education in English or if English is their native language. It is important to check with the specific programs you are interested in for their language proficiency requirements.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students in US graduate schools?

Yes, there are a variety of scholarships and financial aid options available for international students in US graduate schools. Many universities offer merit-based scholarships and assistantships, and there are also external scholarship opportunities available. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.