Finding thickness of a cast iron cylinder

In summary, the thickness of the cast-iron cylinder should be 180 mm for a unit working stress of 25 MPa.
joe465

Homework Statement

A cast-iron cylinder of 300mm bore carries a pressure of 30 Newtons per square
millimetre; what should be its thickness for a unit working stress of 25 Newtons per
square millimetre?

Homework Equations

ó1 = pd/2t

t=pd/2tó1

The Attempt at a Solution

t=pd/2tó1

t= 30*300/2*25

=180mm

Its got to be wrong as its way too big but I am unsure on where I am going wrong, any help would be much appreciated.

'Edit'

ó1/pd=2t

25/(30*3000) = 2t

2t = 0.00277778

t= 0.0014mm (4dp)

Maybes this one, I am not sure.

Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first one should be correct. Considering that the pressure is 30 MPa.

1. How do I measure the thickness of a cast iron cylinder?

The best way to measure the thickness of a cast iron cylinder is to use a caliper or micrometer. Place the cylinder between the measuring jaws and tighten until snug. The measurement displayed will be the thickness of the cylinder.

2. Can I use a ruler to measure the thickness?

No, a ruler is not an accurate tool for measuring the thickness of a cast iron cylinder. A caliper or micrometer is necessary for precise measurements.

3. What is the acceptable thickness range for a cast iron cylinder?

The acceptable thickness range for a cast iron cylinder can vary depending on the specific application and size of the cylinder. Generally, the thickness should be at least 1/8 inch for smaller cylinders and up to 1/2 inch for larger cylinders.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when measuring the thickness of a cast iron cylinder?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment when handling a cast iron cylinder, as the edges can be sharp. It is also recommended to secure the cylinder in a stable position before taking measurements.

5. What factors can affect the thickness of a cast iron cylinder?

The thickness of a cast iron cylinder can be affected by factors such as the quality of the casting, temperature variations during the casting process, and any wear or corrosion that may have occurred over time.