Negation Of Propositions

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: In a formal language, like logic, every sentence has a specific meaning that cannot be changed without changing the sentence's meaning. In everyday English, however, there are many possible interpretations of a sentence, and the meaning of a sentence can be changed without changing the sentence's meaning.
Bashyboy
The proposition that I am to negate is, "The summer in Maine is hot and sunny," so I performed the negation and wrote, "The summer in Maine is not hot and sunny." This is incorrect, and the answer is, "The summer in Maine is not hot or it is not sunny." Why did the author change the logical connective from the conjunction (and) to the disjunction (or)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formal negation of (A and B) is NotA or NotB.

One way of seeing it is that a case of NotA or NotB is a counterexample to "A and B".

Maybe it would be better to see it as : Not ( Hot and Sunny) . If it is not both (hot and sunny), then it is either

not hot or not sunny.

Okay, I see: [itex]a \wedge b[/itex] has the opposite truth values as [itex]\neg a \vee \neg b[/itex]? Would the way I write it be incorrect? Or should I write the "formal" way as my answer?

Yes, notice a/\b is true exactly one both a,b are true, and this is the only case

when ~a\/~b is false. IOW, (A/\B) & (~A\/~B) is a contradiction

You can even do a short derivation. What do you mean by the way you write is

incorrect?

What you wrote, "the summer in Maine is not hot and sunny" is, at best, ambiguous. It could be interpreted as "the summer in Maine is not hot but it is sunny" which is NOT the negation of the original statement.

HallsofIvy said:
What you wrote, "the summer in Maine is not hot and sunny" is, at best, ambiguous. It could be interpreted as "the summer in Maine is not hot but it is sunny" which is NOT the negation of the original statement.

Yes, of course, but that is almost a necessary tradeoff between a formal language ( of logic)

and a non-formal one like everyday English: accuracy in exchange for flexibility .

What is negation of a proposition?

Negation of a proposition is the opposite or denial of that proposition. It is a logical operation that takes a statement and changes its truth value. For example, if the proposition is "It is raining," the negation would be "It is not raining."

What is the symbol for negation of a proposition?

The symbol for negation of a proposition is "~" or "¬". These symbols are commonly used in mathematical and logical notation to represent negation.

What is the difference between negation and contradiction?

Negation and contradiction are often confused, but they are not the same. Negation is the opposite of a proposition, while contradiction is a statement that is always false. For example, the negation of "The sky is blue" is "The sky is not blue," while a contradiction would be "The sky is both blue and not blue."

How is negation used in scientific research?

Negation is a powerful tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to explore alternative explanations or hypotheses. By negating a proposition, scientists can test the validity of their theories and make new discoveries.

Can negation of a proposition be proven?

No, negation of a proposition cannot be proven. It can only be disproven by providing evidence or data that contradicts the negated proposition. This is why negation is an important part of the scientific method, as it allows for the testing of hypotheses and the advancement of knowledge.