Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
Math REU:
Does anyone know why UMBC extended their deadline to March 1? I would expect that this was due to a lack of applicants. If this is true, then I'm really surprised because my rejection e-mail for Fresno state stated that there were 340+ applicants for only 8 spots (wow!).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand how REUs set their application deadlines. For math most seem to be in early February but many are considerably later than that. The University of Washington's application deadline is April 1st which seems so late that all other offers would have had to be accepted before decisions come out.

mathstudent99 said:
I don't really understand how REUs set their application deadlines. For math most seem to be in early February but many are considerably later than that. The University of Washington's application deadline is April 1st which seems so late that all other offers would have had to be accepted before decisions come out.

Some REU's have late deadlines, but send out acceptances much earlier. This is where it gets confusing so you should really try and have all of your applications completed at least by mid-February.

usnavi13 said:
Has anyone heard from the following places, or know if they sent out offers?
DIMACS/DIMATIA (Rutgers)
Cal State San Bernardino
RIPS
James Madison
Texas A&M
Penn State
George Washington
Cornell
Worcester Polytech.
Boise State

Thanks!

George Washington has sent out first offers.

Last edited:
Got an offer from the University of Florida for Materials Engineering Research, anyone else going there or know anything about the program?

arubirurei said:
George Washington has sent out first offers.

I got an offer from George Washington. Since we have until Monday to accept, do you think other programs will have sent their offers by then?

usnavi13 said:
I got an offer from George Washington. Since we have until Monday to accept, do you think other programs will have sent their offers by then?

Let other programs you are interested in know (by e-mail/phone). In my case, I got a few more offers and some "it's too early for us to be able to tell you, so take the one you've got" (and some non-responses, at least since yesterday)

And I know these questions tend not to get answered, but does anyone have any experience with the LSU or Central Michigan math REUs? I can't find any testimony anywhere and would really like to hear some first hand accounts if possible.

MechE2015 said:
Got an offer from the University of Florida for Materials Engineering Research, anyone else going there or know anything about the program?

I'm an undergrad in the MSE Department at UF. Anything specific you wanted to know? I haven't heard much about the program, but I might be able to comment on your PI.

usnavi13 said:

7/8 of the REUs I've applied to have sent out first offers. Unless you have quite a few applications with due dates March 1st or later, I'd say most everyone has started offers by now.

verdricity said:
Has anyone here had experience/know anything about the Central Michigan REU for math?
Hi. I don't have direct experience but I know someone who was part of this program last summer. It appears to be a very solid program and the paper that my friend got out of it seems very nice too.

George Mason Math sent out today

I just got my acceptance from Cornell today for the Analysis on Fractals project. Who else is going?

I know Notre Dame is sending out their stuff. I just got my rejection today.

@ dabibbler

If there is anything you could tell me about the department/school in general that would be great! Like the quality of professors, facilities, the city of Gainesville, the school itself? Thanks!

I know Nevis Labs has sent out offers and so has DOE-SULI -- I accepted an offer from SULI for Fermilab

Started the day with a rejection from Notre Dame physics but ended it with an offer from Cornell !

Yeah, I just got rejected from Notre Dame. 300 applicants for 12 spots. Hahaha...

DougUTPhy said:
I know Nevis Labs has sent out offers and so has DOE-SULI -- I accepted an offer from SULI for Fermilab

Do you know of someone that got into Nevis Labs?

caleb5040 said:
Yeah, I just got rejected from Notre Dame. 300 applicants for 12 spots. Hahaha...

Yikes. Fresno State had over 340 applicants for only 8 spots. (I didn't get in.)

Anyone hear from Cal State San Bernardino, San Diego State, or Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI-UP?) SDSU and MSRI-UP were due March 4, so I know it's still early, but San Bernardino was due Feb. 7.

Mozartean said:
Let other programs you are interested in know (by e-mail/phone). In my case, I got a few more offers and some "it's too early for us to be able to tell you, so take the one you've got" (and some non-responses, at least since yesterday)

And I know these questions tend not to get answered, but does anyone have any experience with the LSU or Central Michigan math REUs? I can't find any testimony anywhere and would really like to hear some first hand accounts if possible.

When you e-mailed other programs, did you tell them that you had another offer, or just that you're trying to finalize summer plans? (I don't want to risk losing a spot if they know I already have a spot somewhere else.)

Not quite an REU, but the Budapest Summer Semester sent out acceptances today

Because I am a graduating senior, I couldn't apply to any of the NSF REUs. I did however get accepted into the Cornell Summer Math Institute this past Sunday. It is primarily focused on graduate-level coursework, but there is a research component, and a stipend comparable to most REUs.

I have done two previous mathematics REUs: UNC-Asheville in 2011 and LSU in 2012. I don't think Asheville is doing one this year, but if anyone has questions about LSU, I'd be happy to answer. I will likely be starting their PhD program this fall, in large part due to my experience there last summer.

PhysicsGente said:
Do you know of someone that got into Nevis Labs?

I know one person who has accepted an offer from Nevis. I don't know what that means w.r.t. other applicants (website hasn't been updated since Jan. 4).

really sad to hear that Rose Hulman was denied funding. that was one of the few places I think I had a decent chance

usnavi13 said:
When you e-mailed other programs, did you tell them that you had another offer, or just that you're trying to finalize summer plans? (I don't want to risk losing a spot if they know I already have a spot somewhere else.)

I told them I had another offer. If anything it definitely helped more people say yes, rather than just "he'll be fine".

mege said:
Does anyone have any experience applying to REUs as an older student? (I'm 30)

I've done REUs at 35 and 36, and will do another "traditional undergrad" program at 37 this year. I don't think my age was ever a negative factor, although I did find myself taking on the "mom" role socially at my last REU. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

Mozartean said:
I told them I had another offer. If anything it definitely helped more people say yes, rather than just "he'll be fine".

Wouldn't it make them more inclined to think "they'll be fine". After all, they know you have a different offer.

Just received a rejection letter from E3S by the way. The were really tied for my top choice, but oh well

Takuza said:
Wouldn't it make them more inclined to think "they'll be fine". After all, they know you have a different offer.

Just received a rejection letter from E3S by the way. The were really tied for my top choice, but oh well

All I can say is that in my experience this is the opposite of the truth. Besides, it's not like the total number of offers changes. Me saying no to the initial program would just allow someone else to participate in that one.

I got so busy I am behind on my applications, most of which are past due. i have to find some which have a past-march Due date now.

That and I was busy studying/catching up to a class I might fail anyway unless I drop it - a complete waste of time. I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
I got so busy I am behind on my applications, most of which are past due. i have to find some which have a past-march Due date now.

That and I was busy studying/catching up to a class I might fail anyway unless I drop it - a complete waste of time. I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing.

-Dave K

University of Washington in Seattle and South Dakota State University both have deadlines in April.

usnavi13 said:
University of Washington in Seattle and South Dakota State University both have deadlines in April.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Accepted my offer to Cornell today!
Had to decline a few others so at least a couple new spots opened up.

Received an e-mail from Worcester Polytechnic Institute asking for my phone number so they can call. I wasn't aware that this program required an interview... does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I don't know whether it is actually an interview, or what to expect?

usnavi13 said:
Received an e-mail from Worcester Polytechnic Institute asking for my phone number so they can call. I wasn't aware that this program required an interview... does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I don't know whether it is actually an interview, or what to expect?

It might just be so that they can talk in person about the project they want you working on. I had a program call me this year and that's what happened. Just relax, even if it is sort of an interview they probably won't ask any real tough questions unless they told you in advance.