Air Compressor Schematics & Homebuilt Projects

In summary, the conversation was about finding sites with good schematics for air compressors, specifically for homebuilt ones. The speaker also mentioned the risks and potential costs of building one and suggested looking into piston designs. They also suggested checking out the website http://www.knowpressure.org/ for more information on compressors.
Shawnzyoo
Does anyone know of any sites that have a good schematic of an air compressor?
or possibly some sites about homebuilt air compressors?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are so many units available its doubtful that you would be able to build one cheaper than buying a second-hand one, and with so many risks if your pressure storage system would fail and propel shrapnel that I must ask why would you home build this?

There are a few designs but a popular air compressor pump is a piston design that is much like a regular 4-stroke engine except it only has the intake and exhuast cycles.

Since you are talking about a homebuilt compressor, I am assuming that you are interested in a reciprocating compressor. Since compressors are on the competitive side, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a cross section of one. There are a lot of manufacturers out there that have pretty informative web sites. One of the more general ones that should have some good info for you is here:

http://www.knowpressure.org/

1. What is an air compressor and how does it work?

An air compressor is a mechanical device that converts power into potential energy stored in compressed air. It works by sucking in large volumes of air and compressing it into a smaller space, increasing its pressure. This compressed air can then be used to power tools, inflate tires, or perform other tasks.

2. How do I read an air compressor schematic?

Reading an air compressor schematic can be intimidating at first, but it is actually quite simple. Most schematics use symbols to represent different components such as the motor, tank, valves, and gauges. These symbols are usually accompanied by labels and arrows to show the flow of air. It is important to carefully study the legend or key provided on the schematic to understand what each symbol means.

3. Can I build my own air compressor at home?

Yes, it is possible to build your own air compressor at home, but it requires some basic knowledge of mechanics and electrical systems. There are many DIY tutorials and guides available online, but it is important to follow safety precautions and use quality materials to ensure the compressor functions properly.

4. What are some common homebuilt air compressor projects?

Some common homebuilt air compressor projects include converting an old refrigerator compressor into an air compressor, building a small portable compressor for inflating tires or powering small tools, and creating a larger stationary compressor for more heavy-duty tasks. Other projects may involve modifying existing compressors to improve performance or adding additional features.

5. What maintenance is required for a homebuilt air compressor?

Like any mechanical device, a homebuilt air compressor will require regular maintenance to ensure it functions properly and lasts a long time. This may include changing the oil, cleaning or replacing filters, checking for leaks, and inspecting and tightening connections. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and perform routine maintenance to keep your compressor in good working condition.