Finding the radius of a curved surface

In summary, you would need to have an idea of the shape of the surface in order to interpolate. Once you have that information, you can use methods like least-squares regression to find the radius of curvature at any given point.
mickeyc11
I have a curved surface which I know the (x,y and z) coordinates for 5 separate points on it and I was wondering how to determine the radius of this curved surface from the coordinates and then interpolate so that I can obtain points across the whole surface?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You need to have some idea of the general shape of the surface in order to do the interpolation.
Methods to do this depends on the type of data you have too - i.e. the points may be known to some uncertainty.

If you happen to know all the points are exactly on the surface of a sphere - then you are solving simultaneous equations of form:
##(x-x_0)^2+(y-y_0)^2+(z-z_0)^2=r^2## ... substituting your points for (x,y,z) until you have 4 equations, (x0,y0,z0) is the location of the center and r is the radius.

iirc: you can also take pairs of points to define planes - all the planes will intersect at the center.
pick three points - they define a circle: the axial line through the circle also goes through the center of the sphere. So pick another three points to get a second circle (tilted wrt the first) and the two axial lines intersect at the center.

But there are lots of ways of being curved that do not involve being a sphere.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

My problem is it is a practical application and I don't know the center point, only 5 points on the curved surface of the object. I should have also mentioned the points are all the same in the z axis, it is only the position of the points in the x and y-axis which represent the curve.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

So the surface only curves in the x-y plane.
Then you concentrate on finding y=f(x) or x=f(y).

i.e. if you know it is exactly a circle, then draw a line-segment between any two points - the bisector of that segment goes through the center. Do this for another pair of points - the intersection of the bisectors is the center. You can also do it by plugging three points into the general equation for a circle.

But for real-world data, you will have an uncertainty on the data points, so the data only approximately follows the circle (or whatever), so that method won't work unless the uncertainty is very small.

You can use least-squares regression to a curve if you have some idea of what the curve should be.

i.e. maybe you have some theory that says it should be a quadratic - then y=ax^2+bx+c and you use the data to find the parameters (a,b,c) - there are computer programs to do that for you.
From the curve you can get the radius of curvature at any point.

Why not try a linear regression in the x-y plane to see what you get , and then go from there?

1. How do you find the radius of a curved surface?

To find the radius of a curved surface, you will need to measure the distance from the center of the curve to any point on the curved surface. This will give you the radius of the curve.

2. Is it possible to find the radius of a curved surface without measuring?

No, it is not possible to find the radius of a curved surface without measuring. Measuring is necessary to get an accurate measurement of the radius.

3. Can you use a formula to find the radius of a curved surface?

Yes, you can use a formula to find the radius of a curved surface. The formula is r = c/2π, where r is the radius, c is the circumference, and π is the mathematical constant pi.

4. Are there any tools or equipment needed to find the radius of a curved surface?

Yes, you will need a measuring tool such as a ruler or tape measure to find the distance from the center of the curve to any point on the curved surface. You may also need a calculator to help with calculations.

5. Can the radius of a curved surface vary at different points?

Yes, the radius of a curved surface can vary at different points. This is because the radius is the distance from the center to any point on the curve, and the curve may not have a consistent radius throughout.