Differentiation of coordinate wrt another coordinate

In summary: It focuses on formalizing the concept of directional derivatives, and gives nice diagrams and an equation that can be solved exactly.
Jhenrique
When I take the differential of y wrt t (being t a parameter (time)) I get the velocity of the y-coordinate, if take the second differential of y wrt t, thus I get the aceleration of the y-coordinate... ok! But what means to differentiate the y-coordinate wrt x-coordinate, or wrt y, or then differentiate twice wrt to y, or x, or xy. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the derivative or the differential?
A common situation would be if the movement is constrained so that
f(x,y,t)=0
by the Implicit function theorem we can think of x and y as each being functions of time, or as being functions of each other.

lurflurf has answered the question nicely.

I would add the following link, which is the most beautiful explanation of partial derivatives which I've encountered.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/partial-derivative.htm

lurflurf said:
Do you mean the derivative or the differential?

differential in the inverse sense of integral, ie, "the differential of f wrt to x results the derivative of f"...

chogg said:
lurflurf has answered the question nicely.

I would add the following link, which is the most beautiful explanation of partial derivatives which I've encountered.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/partial-derivative.htm

His answer did not clear anything to me. You text-link is very big, gives to summarize?

It is good to picture the situation: What you have is the plane ##\mathbb R ^2## and points ##(x,y)## on that plane. Then you put a curve ##\gamma## into that plane via
##
\gamma(t)= (x(t), y(t)) \, .
##
Taking the derivative with respect to time gives you the velocity $$\dot \gamma (t)$$. Getting rid of the parameter by solving y for x gives you the (image of the) curve without telling you how fast you go along that curve. Then differentiating ##y## with respect to ##x## tells you the slope of that curve at point ##(x, y(x))##. For simplicity I assumed there is only on ##y## value corresponding to a given ##x##-value.

Jhenrique said:
His answer did not clear anything to me. You text-link is very big, gives to summarize?

From the top of the link:

Executive summary: Partial derivatives have many important uses in math and science. We shall see that a partial derivative is not much more or less than a particular sort of directional derivative. The only trick is to have a reliable way of specifying directions ... so most of this note is concerned with formalizing the idea of direction. This results in a nice graphical representation of what “partial derivative” means. Perhaps even more importantly, the diagrams go hand-in-hand with a nice-looking exact formula in terms of wedge products.

My summary: If you really want to understand partial derivatives, this link is a good reference.

What is differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate?

The differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of one coordinate in relation to another coordinate. It is commonly used in multivariate calculus and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of functions with multiple variables.

Why is differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate important?

Differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the relationship between two variables. It helps us to determine how one variable affects the other and how they change together. This information is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the notation used for differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate?

The notation used for differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate is "d/dx", where "x" represents the independent variable with respect to which the differentiation is being performed. This notation was introduced by mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and is known as Leibniz's notation.

How is differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate calculated?

To calculate differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate, we use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables by treating one variable as a constant and differentiating with respect to the other variable.

What are some real-world applications of differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate?

Differentiation of coordinate with respect to another coordinate has numerous real-world applications. For example, it is used in economics to analyze how changes in one variable, such as price, affect another variable, such as demand. It is also used in physics to calculate the velocity of an object in relation to its position. Additionally, it is used in engineering to optimize designs by analyzing the relationship between different variables, such as cost and performance.