Best Numerical Analysis Software for Physics

In summary: Matlab and/or Python.A few packages to consider:- NumPy: for numerical computing- SciPy: for scientific computing- Matplotlib: for plotting- PyQt: for GUI development
Physics news on Phys.org
'Numerical analysis software' is a vague term.

What do you want to do with the software?

Are you looking for symbolic math?
Do you want to generate an harmonic analysis?
Are you interested in a statistics package to help analyze experimental data?
Do you need a tool to plot data?

Depending on your ultimate goal, there may be several packages which fit your requirements.

hhhmmm...at one time or another, a few years ago, I visited some of the webpages for the software listed in the link...at the end, I simply chose Python (numpy, scipy, matplotlib, pyQt, etc).

As a non-user of the software, a brief homepage visit and maybe a trial usage, I have the following speculative opinions...

Sage is huge, a beast, a conglomerate of many other programs (dozens) unified under a common python interface; needless to say, one would need to really know how to use those other individual programs in order to use them through Sage.

Scilab and Freemat are a-la-matlab kind of programs. Scilab seems rather popular with literature, conferences, etc.

Euler seems for mathematicians, fancy plots, reminds me of Mathematica.

Julia is picking up good, seems designed for good performance, very friendly language but I am not sure what kind of shape is in regards to libraries...I would like Julia to be my programming language of the future...we shall see...keeping an eye on it.

...for now, I am sticking with Python...many libraries not only for data analysis but also for plotting, and even for quick application prototyping, I am talking enabling some of us non-programmer engineers/scientists fairly easily and quickly build basic GUI-based applications (pyqwt, enthought, pyQt, pySide). Besides, once you learn Python, you will also be able to script many other applications that have chosen Python as their scripting language.

Anyway, that's just my non-educated opinion, no need to sue me.

Lastly, do you know anybody in the field that you are looking to get into? Have you asked anyone there what they use?

Numerical Analysis of

- Einstein Field Equations
- Schrodinger Equations

As a starter and graphs of solutions

1. What is numerical analysis software for physics?

Numerical analysis software for physics is a type of computer program that helps scientists and engineers solve complex mathematical equations and perform simulations related to physical phenomena. It uses numerical methods to approximate solutions to equations that cannot be solved analytically.

2. How is numerical analysis software used in physics research?

Numerical analysis software is used in physics research to model and simulate physical systems that are difficult or impossible to study through traditional experimental methods. It allows scientists to test theoretical predictions and explore various scenarios without the need for expensive or time-consuming experiments.

3. What are the key features to look for in the best numerical analysis software for physics?

The best numerical analysis software for physics should have a user-friendly interface, a wide range of numerical methods and algorithms, the ability to handle large and complex data sets, and the ability to produce accurate and reliable results. It should also have good visualization tools to help users interpret and analyze the data.

4. Can numerical analysis software for physics be used by non-experts?

Yes, there are many numerical analysis software programs that are designed for non-experts in the field of physics. These programs typically have a user-friendly interface and provide step-by-step instructions to guide users through the process of setting up and solving their equations. However, a basic understanding of physics and mathematical concepts is still necessary to effectively use the software.

5. Are there any free or open-source options for numerical analysis software for physics?

Yes, there are several free and open-source numerical analysis software programs available for physics research, such as GNU Octave, Scilab, and FreeFEM. These programs offer many of the same features as paid software, but are available at no cost and can be modified by users to suit their specific needs.