Why did the red color fade in the reaction between substance x(2+) and y(2+)?

In summary, the class is stuck on a chemistry problem involving a strip of substance X(2+) placed in a red solution of Y(2+) (aq). After 3 hours, the red color becomes less intense and there is no further change. Some X(2+) still remains. The question asks for a reaction mechanism and an explanation for why the reaction stopped. It is suggested that this is a redox reaction, as X(2+) is most likely not in its ionic state and thus a redox reaction is taking place between X and Y(2+). However, the fact that the red color only becomes less intense and does not disappear suggests that equilibrium has been reached. It is also noted that the reaction may not
22-16
Year 11 chemistry problem the whole class is stuck on and our regular teacher is away for a month:

A strip of substance x(2+) is placed in a red solution of y(2+) (aq). After 3 hours the red colour becomes less intense. There is no change after this. Some x(2+) still remains.

a) write a reaction mechanism

b) explain why the reaction stopped

No problems with part b I just need help with the reaction mechanism.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any ideas anyone?
I really need some help on this.

Could it be a redox reaction?

If X is a solid it is most likely that it is not in its ionic state. Therefore it is most likely the case that there is a redox reaction btw X and Y 2+ (the ion being stabilized by water). The red color disappears since it is being converted to Y. Thus Y 2+ gains two electrons from X. X becomes 2+. Better have someone else check on this, they might be able to give you a better explanation.

Originally posted by 22-16
Year 11 chemistry problem the whole class is stuck on and our regular teacher is away for a month:

A strip of substance x(2+) is placed in a red solution of y(2+) (aq). After 3 hours the red colour becomes less intense. There is no change after this. Some x(2+) still remains.

a) write a reaction mechanism

b) explain why the reaction stopped

The guy above is right. Having ions in solid form is not common at all. It is indeed a redox reaction.
To make it look more familiar, just replace X2+ with Zn2+ and replace Y2+ with Cu2+. The reaction would be adding zinc to copper ions. The half reactions would look like this:
Zn --> Zn2+ + 2e-
Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu

I don't really know what "write a reaction mechanism" means so I can't help with that.

Since the reaction ratio between the X2 and the Y2 is 1 to 1, the reaction stopped because the amount of X or X2 added was more than the amount of Y2 in the solution.

But it says the red color becomes less intense, it doesn't say it disappears, leading me to think that an equilibrium has been reached.

Originally posted by Monique
But it says the red color becomes less intense, it doesn't say it disappears, leading me to think that an equilibrium has been reached.

good point...but what kind of reaction would that make this? If not all of the red stuff reacts, would that mean this is NOT a redox reaction? What other kind of reaction would it be?

Last edited:
Reaction mechanisms are primarily used in physical chemistry, ie kinetics and reaction rates. However if it is a redox reaction, I can't see how a mechanism can be proposed. After all, it is just a transfer of electrons, the species don't interact.

Given the question is asking for a mechanism, this leads me to believe it is in fact not a redox reaction. Judging by the reaction halting, it does look as if equilibrium has been reached.

You guys realize this is a year 11 question, so the answer is probably just staring at us :)

To the original poster: Is that the entire question?

Last edited:
A redox reaction can reach equilibrium. Remember that each half reaction would have a different EMF; judging by this we can calculate K from the different standard EMF potentials. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think so too, if the reduction potentials are not too far from each other..

My humble opinion:

It was most likely a strip of a metal. The reactions may appear to be an equal equation, however, due to the surface area of the metal strip, it may not react with the inner core of the metal. Therefore, even though the equation balances, it does not ract to conclusion.

: I am trying to remember the old penny experiment from genchem. The surface area was an issue for this.

1. What caused the red color to fade in the reaction?

The red color in the reaction between substance x(2+) and y(2+) faded because of a chemical change that occurred between the two substances. This change resulted in the formation of new compounds that do not have the same color as the original substances.

2. Is the fading of the red color a sign of the reaction being successful?

In most cases, the fading of the red color in the reaction between substance x(2+) and y(2+) is an indication that the reaction has taken place and has been successful. However, it is important to confirm this with other tests or experiments to ensure that the desired reaction has occurred.

3. Can the red color be restored after the reaction has taken place?

In some cases, it may be possible to restore the red color after the reaction has occurred. This can be done by reversing the chemical reaction or by adding certain chemicals to the reaction mixture. However, this will depend on the specific substances involved and the conditions of the reaction.

4. Why does the red color fade in this particular reaction?

The red color fades in this reaction because of the specific chemical properties of substance x(2+) and y(2+). These substances are known to undergo a chemical reaction that results in the formation of new compounds with different colors. This change in color is a result of the rearrangement of atoms and bonds in the substances.

5. Can the fading of the red color be prevented in this reaction?

In some cases, it may be possible to prevent the fading of the red color in the reaction between substance x(2+) and y(2+). This can be achieved by controlling the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pH, and concentration of substances. Additionally, using different substances or altering the reaction pathway may also prevent the fading of the red color.