High performance computer

In summary, the article recommends that someone build a computer for intensive calculation using a nvidia video card and an hd size that is not important. The article recommends a motherboard with 4 PCI express x16 slots, a 1500 watt power supply, and a nvidia card.
leon1127
Hi guys,

Now I want to build a computer for intensive calculation. I am expecting to spend somewhere 4000 dollars just for machine. The only thing I must need is nvidia video card. hhd size isn't important but the speed is. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Computer science news on Phys.org
robphy said:

Very interesting link. However I am a mathematician not a computer builder. I do find building computer entertaining but I looking for something practical and ready to be used for numerical programming.

leon1127 said:
Hi guys,

Now I want to build a computer for intensive calculation. I am expecting to spend somewhere 4000 dollars just for machine. The only thing I must need is nvidia video card. hhd size isn't important but the speed is. Do you guys have any suggestion?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,119273-page,1/article.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, with $4000, you should be able to build something nice.

With that kind of money, you should probably look at an ASUS board with dual Opteron or Xeon processors. That will give you eight processor cores. Then, you should load it up with eight GB of DDR 2 RAM and one or two Nvidia cards. Buy a 1000-1500 watt power supply.

Also, you should probably have money left over to make a five or six hard drive RAID 5 array. Be sure to buy a UPS.

For about $4000 you can build a very powerful computer, as I mentioned, capable of driving four monitors (which can be used for CUDA if necessary), with eight processor cores.

And, as an added bonus, you could choose to run 64 Bit XP, Vista, or 2008, or most Unix systems, so it should be good for whatever kind of software and operating system you need the workstation for.

Your other option, if it is suitable and you have the technical expertise, is to buy some used computers, install Linux on them, and run a Beowulf cluster, which might be more cost efficient than a single computer, and would not require a graphics card.

leon1127 said:

Why nVidia?

Does your application benefit from parallelism?

Nvidia does currently have more perks when it comes to incorporating the GPU for computational power...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_Tesla

Nvidia blows out Moore’s Law with fresh Tesla
Nvidia pitches its Tesla hardware as a magical solution for the world’s toughest computing problems. Just move your code that runs well across many processors over to the Tesla boards, and Shazam!. You enjoy sometimes 400 per cent improvements in overall performance.

Despite such mind-blowing increases in horsepower, Tesla continues to occupy a space that one could characterize as ultra-niche. Only the brave few have navigated Nvidia’s CUDA programming apparatus to tweak their code for the general purpose graphics processors inside of the Tesla systems.

That ultra-niche, however, may grow into a niche over the coming year thanks to the introduction of more powerful Tesla systems.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/16/nvidia_tesla_10/

Last edited:
I am going to write apps with CUDA. This is the whole idea

Get a big case, a 1500 watt power supply (try ultra), and a motherboard with 4 PCI express x16 slots, and throw in four Nvidia cards (or start out with two, and then add the others when they come down in price).

http://fastra.ua.ac.be/en/index.html

1. What is a high performance computer?

A high performance computer (HPC) is a type of computer that has been specifically designed to handle complex and demanding computational tasks at a very high speed. These computers are typically used for scientific and engineering applications that require massive amounts of data processing and analysis.

2. How does a high performance computer differ from a regular computer?

High performance computers are designed with specialized hardware and software components that allow them to process and analyze data at a much faster rate than regular computers. They also have a higher storage capacity and more memory, allowing them to handle larger and more complex datasets.

3. What are some common uses for high performance computers?

High performance computers are commonly used in scientific research, weather forecasting, financial modeling, and engineering simulations. They are also used in artificial intelligence and machine learning applications, as well as in industries such as oil and gas, aerospace, and pharmaceuticals.

4. How are high performance computers built and maintained?

High performance computers are typically built using a cluster of multiple interconnected servers, each with its own processing power and memory. These clusters are connected through a high-speed network and managed by specialized software. Maintenance of HPC systems involves regular monitoring, troubleshooting, and hardware upgrades to ensure optimal performance.

5. What are the benefits of using a high performance computer?

The main benefit of using a high performance computer is its ability to process and analyze large amounts of data at a much faster rate than regular computers. This can lead to faster and more accurate results, allowing scientists and researchers to make breakthroughs in their fields. HPCs also have the potential to reduce costs and increase efficiency in industries that rely on data-intensive processes.