Supplementing E&M Textbooks: Griffiths vs Reitz

In summary, I'm taking junior level E&M this semester and we are using Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory by Reitz. I have previewed the book and it seems a little on the less thorough side while also requiring much prior knowledge of the subject. Are there any other texts which I could supplement with?
Jawbreaker
I'm taking junior level E&M this semester and we are using Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory by Reitz. I have previewed the book and it seems a little on the less thorough side while also requiring much prior knowledge of the subject. Are there any other texts which I could supplement with? I have heard good things about Griffiths :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths is the seminal text. Excellent book. If you put in the time to work through it properly, you will understand EM.

I have a lot of EM books including Griffith, Hayt, Popovic, Schwarz, Jackson, Ulaby, Kraus etc. On the EE side, I found Fiend and Wave Electromagnetics by David K Cheng the best bar none. Maybe it is not what you looking for, but this book is very very good in Field and Waves. Griffith is good too, not as good for EE.

Griffiths is the best.

nicksauce said:
Griffiths is the best.

Agreed. Read through Griffiths first (attempting as many of the problems as you have time for) to get a very solid understanding of the physical concpts and a decent grasp of the Maths. Then, for some more advanced problems and Maths, go through Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics.

I am not sure I can agree Griffith is the best. It is more suitable to physics major. It is not bad, but for someone that have no knowledge about EM, it is not the best I have seen in breaking people into EM. Maybe for physics student, that is as good as it get, but as EE and have a chance to look at books from both side, I see better books like Cheng. But of cause Cheng go deeply into Field and Wave instead. I do use Griffith as reference on the first few chapters.

I also like the ones by Eyges, Schwartz, and Melia. Those are three different books btw.

fasterthanjoao said:
Griffiths is the seminal text. Excellent book. If you put in the time to work through it properly, you will understand EM.

I know I'm responding to an old post, but I can't help myself: seminal doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

The OP is probably halfway thru his semester, but I'd have recommended the book by https://www.amazon.com/dp/047187681X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for the large number of examples it contains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Griffiths. I skimmed through a couple others though and they didn't seem bad either, whatever that means.

Personally though Griffiths did kill me in chapter 3. I never really understood chapter 3 until I took a class on PDE's.

Crap, what's with all the zombie threads recently?

Daverz said:
I know I'm responding to an old post, but I can't help myself: seminal doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

If you do a define: seminal google search, you get some cute results. However, I'm sure fasterthanjoao meant seminal as in definition 3, found http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/seminal" .

fluxions said:
If you do a define: seminal google search, you get some cute results. However, I'm sure fasterthanjoao meant seminal as in definition 3, found http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/seminal" .

That's the definition I meant. Usually what is meant by seminal is some original work that generated a lot of other work. Few textbooks are seminal, as they tend to just synthesize other work. They can certainly do it so well that they become standards. Even a book like Jackson is not really seminal. It filled a niche and now...still fills that niche.

(I guess I really don't have anything better to do... :uhh:)

What is the difference between Griffiths and Reitz textbooks?

The main difference between the two textbooks is their approach to teaching electromagnetism. Griffiths focuses more on conceptual understanding and uses a more mathematical approach, while Reitz provides a more practical and experimental approach to the subject.

Which textbook is better for beginners?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Griffiths may be more suitable for those with a strong math background, while Reitz may be easier for those without a strong math background.

Are the topics covered in both textbooks the same?

Yes, both textbooks cover the same topics in electromagnetism. However, the order and depth of coverage may vary.

Which textbook is more commonly used in universities?

Griffiths is more commonly used in universities, as it is considered a standard textbook for undergraduate courses in electromagnetism. However, some universities may also use Reitz as a supplement or for specific topics.

Can I use both textbooks as a supplement to my studies?

Yes, using both textbooks as a supplement can provide a more comprehensive understanding of electromagnetism. However, it is important to consult with your instructor and prioritize the textbook that aligns with the course curriculum.