Which color reflect UV light best?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best color to reflect UV light and whether visible colors have any effect on UV reflection. It is mentioned that some materials can reflect both visible light and UV light, but that reflection is a complicated process dependent on atomic structure. The relationship between visible and UV albedo is also discussed, with the conclusion that they are not closely related.
Stanley514
Which color is the best reflector of UV light?

In scientific-popular movie ``The future is wild`` they believe that high altitude
gooses should have beauty blue color http://www.thefutureiswild.com/futurassic.asp?level1id=4&level2id=11&level3id=46&level4id=70" to protect themself from harmful UV rays.I thought before that best color that reflects any radiation is snowy white.Also if we are trying to find some color which is as closer as possible to UV it would be violet or purple,not blue.In Windows 7 ``paint`` program the farthest color to the righ is purple which looks rather like ``red``. Any coments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I don't believe the visible color has any effect on how it reflects UV light. The range of UV in the electromagnetic spectrum covers about 400 nanometers in difference, similar to the range of coverage of visible light. In effect, you could figure out which specific wavelength of UV light is reflected by objects and assign "colors" to different parts of the UV spectrum.

A material could reflect red light and also reflect parts of the UV spectrum as well. Also remember that some materials can reflect more than just 1 single color in the visible range.

I don't believe the visible color has any effect on how it reflects UV light.
Isn`t color which we see as ``white`` usually tends to reflect UV rays too?

Stanley514 said:
Since a white surface reflects all visible colours of light approximately equally, one could reasonable expect that it does not suddenly stop reflecting for wavelengths shorter than violet. So white surfaces will likely reflect some of the longer wavelength UV.

But reflection is a complicated process that depends on the atomic structure of the surface and the kinds of atoms involved. Since most glass absorbs shorter wavelength UV a white surface covered by a sheet of glass will reflect light and long wavelength UV but not higher frequency UV.

AM

Stanley514 said:

I don't know honestly. Looking at the EM spectrum and what absorbs what, I can't see any reason to say that the visible color of something would also correlate with non visible wavelength light.

UV reflection is a function of UV albedo. This albedo varies over the spectral range for various objects. I have no idea of what it might be for geese. However, we have no reason to believe that the UV albedo is any more closely related to the visible albedo than the visible albedo is to the infrared; i. e., not closely related at all.

I know from personal experience that the military have done considerable work in UV remote sensing, but little of this seems to have been published.

1. What colors reflect UV light the best?

The colors that reflect UV light the best are typically lighter colors, such as white, light yellow, and light blue. These colors reflect more UV light than darker colors, which absorb more UV light.

2. Why do lighter colors reflect UV light better?

Lighter colors reflect UV light better because they have a higher albedo, or reflectance, meaning they reflect more light than they absorb. This is due to the fact that lighter colors have a higher concentration of white or light-colored pigments, which are better at reflecting light.

3. How does the color of an object affect its ability to reflect UV light?

The color of an object has a direct impact on its ability to reflect UV light. As mentioned before, lighter colors reflect more UV light than darker colors. This is because darker colors have a higher concentration of dark-colored pigments, which are better at absorbing light.

4. Are there any colors that do not reflect UV light at all?

There are a few colors that do not reflect UV light at all, such as black and dark red. These colors have a very low albedo and absorb almost all wavelengths of light, including UV light.

5. Can the color of an object affect its level of UV protection?

Yes, the color of an object can affect its level of UV protection. Lighter colors, which reflect more UV light, can provide better protection against UV rays. However, the color alone is not enough to determine the level of UV protection. Other factors such as fabric density and UV-blocking additives also play a role in determining the level of UV protection.