Exploring the Vector Diagram of a Turning Vehicle

In summary: Definitely. It will always form a triangle. However, if you are considering the trajectory, I the first is definitely a parabola and the second will probably look like some sort of parametric curve. At least I believe so.
PowerBuilder
Recently I began to think somehin which has led to a lot more questions.

If traveling on a straight line and I were to flip a coin a stock standard right handed triangle would be made, due to the coin going up and down.

What would the vector diagram look like if the vehicle was to be turning? Is it a matter of drawing it on the x,y and z planes ?

Physics news on Phys.org
PowerBuilder said:
If traveling on a straight line and I were to flip a coin a stock standard right handed triangle would be made, due to the coin going up and down.

It would not form a triangle, it would form a parabola.

Yes! I was right! That's what I suspected.

PowerBuilder said:
Yes! I was right! That's what I suspected.

:confused:

I haven't even addressed your question yet (sentence 3). I was simply correcting your premise (sentence 2).

Sorry I jumped te gun a bit too quick. It would create a parabola as it goes up and finally falls down. It would though create a triangle between it's initial position, terminal height. Or am I wrong ?

PowerBuilder said:
Sorry I jumped te gun a bit too quick. It would create a parabola as it goes up and finally falls down. It would though create a triangle between it's initial position, terminal height. Or am I wrong ?

Well you could say that a parabola drawn at very low resolution will look like a triangle. Certainly if you take just the initial point, the highest point and the final point, they will form a triangle, but then so will any three points if they're not all on the same line!

Michael C said:
Well you could say that a parabola drawn at very low resolution will look like a triangle. Certainly if you take just the initial point, the highest point and the final point, they will form a triangle, but then so will any three points if they're not all on the same line!

Definitely. It will always form a triangle. However, if you are considering the trajectory, I the first is definitely a parabola and the second will probably look like some sort of parametric curve. At least I believe so.

1. How do you create a vector diagram of a turning vehicle?

To create a vector diagram of a turning vehicle, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the vehicle. These include the weight of the vehicle, the normal force, and the frictional force. You can then use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. The vector sum of these forces will give you the resultant force, which determines the direction and rate of turn of the vehicle.

2. What is the purpose of a vector diagram in understanding vehicle turning?

A vector diagram helps us understand the forces involved in turning a vehicle and how they affect the vehicle's motion. By visualizing the forces, we can determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force, which is essential in predicting the vehicle's turning radius and how it will respond to different driving conditions.

3. How does the weight of a vehicle affect its turning capability?

The weight of a vehicle affects its turning capability by increasing the amount of friction needed to maintain control during a turn. A heavier vehicle will require more friction to overcome its inertia and make a turn, whereas a lighter vehicle will require less friction. Additionally, the weight distribution of a vehicle can also impact its turning ability, as it affects the distribution of forces and the center of gravity.

4. What role does the normal force play in a turning vehicle?

The normal force is the force exerted by the ground on the tires of a vehicle. It is perpendicular to the surface and acts as a support force to keep the vehicle from sinking into the ground. In a turning vehicle, the normal force helps maintain traction and prevent the vehicle from slipping or skidding. It also helps balance the weight of the vehicle and determines the maximum speed at which a vehicle can make a turn without losing control.

5. How do you use a vector diagram to determine the turning radius of a vehicle?

To determine the turning radius of a vehicle using a vector diagram, you need to first find the resultant force of all the forces acting on the vehicle. Then, using the formula for centripetal force (F = mv²/r), you can calculate the radius of the circle that the vehicle is turning in. This radius is known as the turning radius and is a crucial factor in understanding a vehicle's turning capabilities.