How do you find terminal velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding technical jargon in physics articles and asks for an explanation on how to calculate terminal velocity, including the meaning of each variable in the equation. A helpful resource is also suggested for further understanding.
yoyopizza
So I have a limited knowledge of physics, and so every article i have attempted to read contains to much technical jargon for me to understand. Can you please explain how, if given say a sphere, what measurements would need to be known? How would I go about calculating terminal velocity? Also with any equation please state what each variable actually stands for. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it was, even I know that terminal velocity isn't zero.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can achieve when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity on the object is equal to the force of air resistance pushing against the object.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and size of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the shape and surface area of the object. Objects with larger masses, sizes, and surface areas will have a higher terminal velocity, while objects with higher densities and viscosities of the fluid will have a lower terminal velocity.

4. Can an object reach terminal velocity in a vacuum?

No, an object cannot reach terminal velocity in a vacuum because there is no air resistance to oppose the force of gravity. Therefore, the object will continue to accelerate until it reaches the maximum velocity possible, which is the speed of light.

5. How is terminal velocity important in understanding motion?

Terminal velocity is important in understanding motion because it helps us understand how different forces, such as gravity and air resistance, act on objects in motion. It also helps us understand how objects move through different mediums, such as air and water, and how their characteristics can affect their speed and acceleration.