So, what is the problem?

• Thread starter JayJohn85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: However, when you substituted the values, you made a mistake in your calculation. The correct result should be:10 * 2 = 2020 - 10 = 10a = 10 m/sec^2So in summary, the equation a = (v - u)/t is correct and works when the values are substituted correctly. In this case, the acceleration is 10 m/sec^2.
JayJohn85
Sorry I can't get latex working so bear with me as I am new to it. I start A-level physics in a week and during my own research I have come across something that confuses me.

Acceleration= Final velocity - Initial velocity divided by time.

What is confusing me is when your deriving other equations from this you get

at=v - u
Multiply both sides by t gives at=v-u. This confuses me cause I would get something like this

at=vt - ut

So I substituted some values into see if at=v - u works.

Acceleration= 10 m/sec^2
Time= 2 seconds
Final velocity= 20 m/s
Initial velocity= 10 m/s

10*2= 20
20-10=10
? 20 does not equal 10 so how does at=v - u work?

Doing it my way I got at= vt - ut
20*2= 40
10*2= 20
40-20= 20
at=vt - ut

Then I thought about cancelling the time term for some reason and I got
20-10= 10
a= v - u

Probably being really stupid here and need to go over my rudimentary algebra. Ignore this I got it acceleration is actually 5 I didnt use the equation at the start right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JayJohn85 said:
So I substituted some values into see if at=v - u works.

Acceleration= 10 m/sec^2
Time= 2 seconds
Final velocity= 20 m/s
Initial velocity= 10 m/s

Those numbers are inconsistent. with each other Either the acceleration should be 5 m/sec^2, or the final velocity should be 30 m/s, or something else is wrong.

The equations you stated is correct (for the average acceleration, or if the acceleration is constant):
a = (v - u)/t

Multiplying by t you get
at = v - u

1. What is a basic problem?

A basic problem is a fundamental issue or challenge that needs to be addressed in order to solve a larger problem or achieve a goal. It is often the root cause of more complex issues.

2. How can I identify a basic problem?

One way to identify a basic problem is to break down a larger problem into smaller components and analyze each one to determine the underlying cause. You can also ask questions to get to the root of the problem and identify any patterns or recurring issues.

3. Why is it important to address basic problems?

Failing to address basic problems can hinder progress and lead to ongoing issues. By identifying and solving basic problems, you can prevent larger problems from arising and improve overall efficiency and effectiveness.

4. What are some common types of basic problems?

Some common types of basic problems include lack of resources, communication issues, conflicting goals or priorities, and inadequate planning or organization.

5. How can I effectively solve basic problems?

To effectively solve basic problems, it is important to gather all relevant information, involve key stakeholders, brainstorm potential solutions, and implement a plan of action. Regularly evaluating and adjusting the solution can also help ensure long-term success.