Bessel's Eq. of order 0 and solution help

• Thread starter mkkrnfoo85
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the first three terms of J_{3/2}(x). The function is defined as: J_r(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^{n+r}, a_0=1 and the terms alternate. The a_0 value is 1 by definition.
mkkrnfoo85
Hello all,
I'm studying for my diff/eq final, and I am having a lot of trouble understanding the answer to a question involving Bessel's equation of order 3/2. So, here's the question. please help::::::The following question concerns Bessel's Equation:

[tex]x^2y''+xy'+(x^2-(\frac{3}{2})^2)y=0[/tex]

The Bessel Function [tex]J_{3/2}(x)[/tex] is the Frobenius series solution which is finite at x = 0 Find the first three terms in its series expansion around x = 0.
Ok, so I have the definition of the Bessel Function as:

[tex]J_r(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^{n+r}, a_0=1[/tex]

where 'r' is the root of the indicial equation:

[tex]r(r-1)+(1)r-(\frac{3}{2})^2[/tex]

The answer to this question says::

[tex]J_{3/2}=x^{3/2}(a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+a_3x^3+...)[/tex]

[tex]y=x^{3/2}(1+0x-\frac{1}{10}x^2+0x^3+...)[/tex]

I don't know how they changed the [tex]a_0,a_1,a_2,...[/tex] values to those numbers right there.
Thanks for the help.
-Mark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just insert the series [itex]J_{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] on your O.D.E. The only way the equality will hold is if all the therms on the O.D.E. are zero. That will give you a condition over the [itex]a_n[/itex]'s.

Last edited:
thx, Just one more question...

thanks, incognitO. That actually helped me put things together. I just had one more question:::

why does the term [tex]a_0[/tex] = 1??

Is it just part of the definition of the Bessel Function, or something else?

Definition, if memory serves me correctly, the terms alternate. You can find the solution in terms of [tex] a_{n+2} = f(n)a_{n} [/tex].

in series solutions with recurrence relations as the type mentioned by Dr Transport, is costumary to choose [itex]a_0=1[/itex], [itex]a_1=0[/itex] to find the first independent solution and then [itex]a_0=0[/itex] and [itex]a_1=1[/itex] to find the second independent solution. In the case of your Bessel function, this is not necesary science [itex]J_{-3/2}[/itex] is also a solution. So the choice of [itex]a_0=1[/itex] comes from definition, which makes Bessel functions special functions.

Last edited:
thanks.

Thanks incognitO, and Dr Transport. Really helped me with the understanding.

-Mark

1. What is Bessel's Equation of Order 0?

Bessel's equation of order 0 is a special type of differential equation that is used to describe the behavior of certain physical systems, particularly those involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is written as x2y'' + xy' + (x2 - n2)y = 0, where n is the order of the equation.

2. What are the solutions to Bessel's Equation of Order 0?

The solutions to Bessel's equation of order 0 are known as Bessel functions of the first kind and second kind. The first kind solutions, denoted as Jn(x), are finite at the origin and are useful for describing oscillatory phenomena. The second kind solutions, denoted as Yn(x), are singular at the origin and are useful for describing exponential growth or decay. Both types of solutions are important in various areas of physics and engineering.

3. How are Bessel's Equation of Order 0 and solutions used in real-world applications?

Bessel's equation of order 0 and its solutions have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to model vibrations in circular membranes, such as drums and cymbals, and in cylindrical structures, such as pipes and tubes. They also play a role in heat transfer, electromagnetic radiation, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, Bessel functions are used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

4. What methods are used to solve Bessel's Equation of Order 0?

There are several methods for solving Bessel's equation of order 0, including power series, Frobenius series, and integral transforms. The most commonly used method is the power series method, where the solutions are expressed as infinite series. The Frobenius series method is used for cases where the power series method fails, and the integral transform method involves transforming the equation into a form that is easier to solve.

5. Are there any special properties of Bessel's Equation of Order 0 and its solutions?

Yes, Bessel's equation of order 0 and its solutions have several important properties. The solutions are orthogonal, which means they are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph. This property is useful in solving boundary value problems. The solutions also have a recurrence relation, which allows for the calculation of higher order Bessel functions using lower order ones. Additionally, Bessel functions exhibit a phenomenon called Bessel decay, where they decrease rapidly as the argument increases, making them useful in approximating certain functions and integrals.