Which notation for pion(0) makeup is correct?

• Thread starter maverick6664
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discrepancy in notation for the expression |\pi^0\rangle = \frac 1 2 (u\uparrow \overline{u} \downarrow + d\uparrow \overline{d} \downarrow - u\downarrow \overline{u} \uparrow - d\downarrow \overline{d} \uparrow). Some sources use a minus sign for the last two terms, while others use a plus sign. It has been suggested that consistency is more important than the specific choice of sign, and that the minus sign is more common due to charge conservation. However, as long as one remains consistent, the sign does not have a significant impact on the
maverick6664
In my book (Greiner's Quantum Mechanics, vol2, symmetries) says after calculation with Clebsch-Gordan coefficients,

[tex]|\pi^0\rangle = \frac 1 2 (u\uparrow \overline{u} \downarrow + d\uparrow \overline{d} \downarrow - u\downarrow \overline{u} \uparrow - d\downarrow \overline{d} \uparrow ),[/tex]

And I confirmed it.

Ignoring spin, It's [tex]|\pi^0\rangle = \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} (u \overline{u} + d \overline{d})[/tex]

However, some sites denote, it's the same: the sum (ex, this one, but others denote it's different; minus sign (ex. this one).

I wonder which is correct. I konw Internet resource is sometimes incorrect. And the latter is wiki... Or they mean the same? because [tex]u \overline{u}[/tex] and [tex]d \overline{d}[/tex] are orthogonal.

But if I do [tex]\hat{T_-}|\pi^+}\rangle = \hat{T_-}u\overline{d} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} (u\overline{u} + d\overline{d}),[/tex] only plus is correct. (phase is ignored and each hand is normalized.)

So will anyone give me any hint which is correct or both are correct? I think at least plus is correct.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That sign is different in different books.
Many times the sign doesn't matter in a particular calculation if yhou are consistent throughout.
I think the minus sign is more common.
That is related to the common usage that charge conservation turns the d into -dbar (if I remember it correctly).
The Ispin doublet for the antiquarks is (ubar,-dbar).
Just be consistent in whatever you do.
I think the sign is only important in getting the G parity right.

Last edited:
Meir Achuz said:
That sign is different in different books.
Many times the sign doesn't matter in a particular calculation if yhou are consistent throughout.
I think the minus sign is more common.
That is related to the common usage that charge conservation turns the d into -dbar (if I remember it correctly).
The Ispin doublet for the antiquarks is (ubar,-dbar).
Just be consistent in whatever you do.
I think the sign is only important in getting the G parity right.

Thank you for the reply. I don't understand exactly what you mean right now (why ispin doublet for the antiquarks is [tex](\overline u,-\overline d)[/tex]. In my understanding, it's [tex](\overline u, \overline d)[/tex] and it must make difference), but I'll proceed keeping it in mind, because I don't have a book denoting minus explicitly...

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a pion(0)?

A pion(0) is a subatomic particle that belongs to the meson family. It is a neutral particle, meaning it has no electric charge, and is composed of two quarks - an up quark and an anti-down quark.

2. How is a pion(0) different from other pions?

A pion(0) is different from other pions in terms of its charge. Pions can either be positively charged (pi+) or negatively charged (pi-), while a pion(0) has no charge.

3. What is the mass of a pion(0)?

The mass of a pion(0) is approximately 135 times the mass of an electron. It is one of the lightest mesons, with a mass of about 135 MeV/c^2.

4. What is the role of pion(0) in particle physics?

Pion(0) plays a crucial role in the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together in the atomic nucleus. It also decays into two photons, which can be used to study the properties of strong interactions.

5. How is the pion(0) created?

Pion(0) can be created in high-energy collisions between particles, such as protons and antiprotons, or in the decay of other particles like kaons. It can also be produced in cosmic ray interactions with the Earth's atmosphere.