Liters of CO2 produced by 8.4 g NaHCO3

In summary, the person is struggling to complete a year's worth of Chemistry in two weeks and is having trouble understanding concepts and getting good grades. They are stuck on a problem involving finding the amount of CO2 produced from a given amount of NaHCO3. They have attempted to solve the problem by calculating the mass of NaHCO3 and using the molar ratio to find the amount of CO2 produced, but are unsure of how to proceed. They seek guidance but do not have access to a teacher for help.
za105
I'm on a ridiculous pace for completing a year's worth of Chemistry... I have two weeks left to finish over a semester's worth, so I'm struggling to learn all the concepts thoroughly and get decent grades. And so I keep getting stuck on problems.

This problem is really giving me a headache:
From the equation 2 NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O, how many liters of CO2 at STP will be produced by 8.4 g NaHCO3?

a. 1.21 L
b. 1.12 L
c. 12.1 L
d. 11.2 L

I believe the first lengthy equation, "2 NaHCO3 etc." is extraneous. The next steps that I've taken are calculating the total gram mass of NaHCO3, 84 grams, meaning 8.4 grams is 1/10 of NaHCO3. If this is so, I'm figuring there will be 1/10 as many grams of CO2, meaning 44 grams of CO2. 44 grams to liters is, at a conversion factor of 1000 grams per liter, .044 liters... I'm obviously way off, but I'm clueless as to what else I'm supposed to be doing. I can't find any similar problems in all the other practice problems in my textbook or syllabus to give me a clue. I'm homeschooled, so no teachers to talk to.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the first lengthy equation, "2 NaHCO3 etc." is extraneous.
No, actually it is quite important.

You need to find the molar ratio of moles of NaHCO3 reacted to moles of CO2 produced.

Find the number of moles of NaHCO3 which react, use the mole ratio to find the number of moles of CO2 produced.
If you assume CO2 is an ideal gas, then at STP, 1 mole will have a volume of 22.4 Liters.

Read about stoichiometric calculations, that's what you need.

And remember that 1000 g per L is for water, not for gases nor other substances.

1. How does 8.4 g of NaHCO3 produce liters of CO2?

When NaHCO3, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is heated, it decomposes into sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), water (H2O), and carbon dioxide (CO2). The balanced chemical equation is 2 NaHCO3(s) → Na2CO3(s) + H2O(g) + CO2(g). The CO2 is released as a gas and can be measured in liters.

2. How many liters of CO2 are produced by 8.4 g of NaHCO3?

Based on the balanced chemical equation, for every 2 moles of NaHCO3, 1 mole of CO2 is produced. Since the molar mass of NaHCO3 is 84 g/mol, 8.4 g of NaHCO3 is equal to 0.1 moles. Therefore, 0.05 moles of CO2 will be produced. Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the volume of 0.05 moles of CO2 at standard temperature and pressure (STP) to be approximately 1.12 liters.

3. How do you measure the volume of CO2 produced from 8.4 g of NaHCO3?

The volume of CO2 can be measured using a gas syringe or a graduated cylinder. The gas syringe is a more accurate method as it directly measures the volume of the gas produced. The graduated cylinder method involves collecting the gas in a cylinder filled with water and measuring the displacement of the water to determine the volume of the gas.

4. Can the experiment be repeated with a different amount of NaHCO3?

Yes, the experiment can be repeated with any amount of NaHCO3. The volume of CO2 produced will vary depending on the amount of NaHCO3 used, but the ratio of 2 moles of NaHCO3 to 1 mole of CO2 will remain constant.

5. What is the purpose of measuring the CO2 produced from NaHCO3?

Measuring the CO2 produced from NaHCO3 allows us to understand the chemical reaction that occurs and to determine the amount of CO2 released. This information can be used in various applications, such as in the food industry to leaven bread or in medical treatments to induce carbon dioxide gas production in the body.