Finding an expression for charge (Q) given an I-V equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics of an ideal semiconductor diode, including its I-V equation, as well as finding analytic expressions for the charge, power, and energy dissipated by the diode over a given period. The conversation also includes using MATLAB to plot the functions for different values and finding the time and values at which a certain amount of charge has passed through the diode. The equation for the charge, Q(t), is given by Q(t)= (I_s*e^(Bt/V_th)-I_s)*t, where I_s is the saturation current, V_th is the thermal voltage, and B is a known constant.
VinnyCee
An ideal semiconductor diode is a nonlinear element that obeys the following I-V equation:

[tex]I\,=\,I_s\,\left(\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,1\right)[/tex]

where [itex]I_s[/itex] is a constant (saturation current) and [itex]V_{th}[/itex] is a constant (thermal voltage, [itex]V_{th}\,=\,\frac{k_B\,T}{q}[/itex]).

Assuming the applied voltage is given by

[tex]\begin{displaymath}
V\,=\,\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
0 & for\,t\,<\,0 \\
Bt & for\,t\,\geq\,0 \\
\end{array} \right.
\end{displaymath}[/tex]

where B is a known constant.

Find an analytic expression for the charge Q(t) that has passed through the diode over the period from 0 to t. Also find the analytic expressions for the power dissipated by the diode p(t) and for the total energy dissipated by the diode w(t) over the period from 0 to t.

Now assuming [itex]I_s\,=\,1\,\times\,10^{-14},\,V_{th}\,=\,25.85\,mV[/itex] and [itex]B\,=\,90\,\frac{mV}{s}[/itex] use MATLAB to plot I(t), Q(t), p(t), and w(t). Do your plots for t = 0 to 10s.

Find the time [itex]\tau[/itex] at which a total of 1 C of charge has passed through the diode ([itex]Q(\tau)\,=\,1\,C[/itex]) and find the values of [itex]p(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]w(\tau)[/itex].

MY WORK SO FAR:

[tex]Q\,=\,\int_0^t\,i\,dt\,=\,\int_0^t\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,dt[/tex]

[tex]Q(t)\,=\,\left[I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,t\,-\,I_s\,t\right]_0^t\,=\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,t[/tex]

Do I have the first part (equation for Q) of the question right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mabye the integral is wrong? Is this better?:

[tex]Q\,(t)\,=\,\int_0^t\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,dt[/tex]

[tex]Q\,(t)\,=\,\left[I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,t\,-\,I_s\,t\right]_0^t\,=\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,t[/tex]

Last edited:

Yes, your expression for Q(t) is correct. It represents the total charge that has passed through the diode over the time period from 0 to t. To find the analytic expressions for power dissipated (p(t)) and total energy dissipated (w(t)), we can use the equations P = VI and W = ∫Pdt, where P is power, V is voltage, I is current, and W is energy.

To find p(t), we can substitute the given equation for V(t) into the I-V equation for the diode to get the expression for I(t). Then, we can multiply I(t) by V(t) to get the power dissipated by the diode at each time step. This can be written as:

p(t) = I(t) * V(t) = I_s * (e^(V(t)/V_th) - 1) * V(t)

Similarly, we can find the expression for w(t) by integrating p(t) over the time period from 0 to t. This can be written as:

w(t) = ∫p(t)dt = ∫[I_s * (e^(V(t)/V_th) - 1) * V(t)]dt

To plot these functions in MATLAB, we can use the given values for I_s, V_th, and B to create a vector of time values from 0 to 10 seconds. Then, we can use the equations for I(t), Q(t), p(t), and w(t) to calculate the corresponding values at each time step and plot them using the "plot" function.

To find the time at which a total of 1 C of charge has passed through the diode, we can use the equation Q(t) = 1 and solve for t. This will give us the time \tau at which Q(\tau) = 1 C. We can then substitute this value of \tau into the equations for p(t) and w(t) to find their corresponding values at that time step.

What is an I-V equation?

An I-V equation, also known as an IV characteristic, is a mathematical relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) in an electrical circuit. It represents how the current changes with respect to the voltage and is often used to describe the behavior of different electronic components.

Why is it important to find an expression for charge (Q) given an I-V equation?

Finding an expression for charge (Q) is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of charge that flows through a circuit at a given voltage. This is useful for understanding the behavior of electrical components and designing circuits for specific purposes.

How can I find an expression for charge (Q) given an I-V equation?

To find an expression for charge (Q) from an I-V equation, you can use the equation Q = I * t, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time. This equation is based on the fundamental relationship between current and charge, where charge is the product of current and time.

Can I use an I-V equation to find the charge (Q) at any point in a circuit?

Yes, an I-V equation can be used to find the charge (Q) at any point in a circuit as long as you have the values for current and time at that point. You can also use the equation Q = ∫ I dt, which represents the integral of current over time and allows you to find the total charge that has passed through a circuit.

Are there any limitations to using an I-V equation to find the charge (Q)?

One limitation of using an I-V equation to find the charge (Q) is that it assumes a constant current over time. In reality, the current in a circuit may vary over time, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated charge. Additionally, this equation does not take into account factors such as resistance, which can also impact the flow of charge in a circuit.