Velocity of 84 kg Skier Jumper After Jumping 105 m Hill

• Thread starter raman911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: However, it would be helpful to also show the calculations for the potential energy at the top of the hill and at the jump, as well as the reasoning behind using conservation of energy to solve this problem. This will help others understand your solution better.
raman911
A84 kg skier jumper starts fro rest at the top of a 220 m hill. What is the velocity of the skier jumper, if the jump is 105 m from the bottom of the hill.

My Proof:

m=84 KG
h=105 m
Eg=84kg*9.8N/kg*105m
Eg=86436J
so Eg=Ek
86436J=1/2*85*V^2
V=45..36m/s

Is that right or Wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong.

You must consider the energy he has at the top of the hill. Apply conservation of energy between that height and the height of the jump.

hage567 said:
It's wrong.

You must consider the energy he has at the top of the hill. Apply conservation of energy between that height and the height of the jump.
i didn't understand u
can u explain me?

Well for one thing, the kinetic energy the skier has at the time he reaches the jump must come from somewhere. The change in potential energy between the top of the hill and the jump is what will determine the kinetic energy at the jump. It will determine his velocity.

Why don't you think the potential energy the skier has at the top of the hill is important in finding out how much kinetic energy he has at the jump?

hage567 said:
Well for one thing, the kinetic energy the skier has at the time he reaches the jump must come from somewhere. The change in potential energy between the top of the hill and the jump is what will determine the kinetic energy at the jump. It will determine his velocity.

Why don't you think the potential energy the skier has at the top of the hill is important in finding out how much kinetic energy he has at the jump?
can u give me proof?

Tell me why you think it's wrong.

You have not shown any reasoning for your answer.

hage567 said:
Tell me why you think it's wrong.

You have not shown any reasoning for your answer.

because i am not sure about my answer

because i am not sure about my answer
Well you must have done your answer that way for some reason.

can u give me proof?
What kind of proof are you looking for? I'm not going to give you the answer if that's what you mean.

Have you tried to use my idea to solve this problem? What about it is giving you trouble?
Can you find the total energy of the skier when he is at rest at the top of the hill?

hage567 said:
Well you must have done your answer that way for some reason.

What kind of proof are you looking for? I'm not going to give you the answer if that's what you mean.

Have you tried to use my idea to solve this problem? What about it is giving you trouble?
Can you find the total energy of the skier when he is at rest at the top of the hill?

Eg=mghA
Eg=84kg*9.8N/kg*220m
Eg=181104J

Eg=mghB
Eg=84kg*9.8N/kg*105m
Eg=86436J

Eg=181104J-86436J
Eg=94668J

So Eg=Ek
94668JJ=1/2*85*V^2
V=47.47m/s

Is that right or Wrong?

I would say that is right.

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a skier jumper after jumping a 105 m hill?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a skier jumper after jumping a 105 m hill is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity in m/s, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the hill in meters.

2. How much velocity does a 84 kg skier gain after jumping a 105 m hill?

Based on the formula v = √(2gh), the velocity gained by a 84 kg skier after jumping a 105 m hill would be approximately 53.5 m/s.

3. Is the velocity of a skier jumper affected by their weight?

Yes, the velocity of a skier jumper is affected by their weight. According to the formula v = √(2gh), the velocity is directly proportional to the square root of the height and inversely proportional to the square root of the weight. This means that a heavier skier would have a slightly lower velocity compared to a lighter skier jumping from the same height.

4. Is the velocity of a skier jumper affected by air resistance?

Yes, the velocity of a skier jumper is affected by air resistance. As the skier moves through the air, they experience air resistance which acts in the opposite direction of their motion. This resistance can decrease the velocity of the skier jumper, making them land at a slower speed than expected.

5. How does the velocity of a skier jumper affect their landing?

The velocity of a skier jumper can greatly affect their landing. A higher velocity can result in a longer jump, but it also means a faster and potentially harder landing. A lower velocity can result in a shorter jump, but it also means a slower and potentially softer landing. It is important for skier jumpers to carefully control their velocity to ensure a safe and successful landing.