Mass suspended on a spring question

In summary, the person is trying to find the phase angle of a mass oscillating on a spring. They have no idea what x(t) means, and are worried because their assessor is away for 2 weeks. They find a formula using an amplitude of motion, a sinusoidal function, and a position x0. They plug in t = 0.01s and x = 0.015m to find x(t) = 0.037m.
chriswev
1.5kg mass on spring streatched 3cm from natural length. oscillationg amplitude of 2.2cm. when t=0.01s, displacement x = 1.5 cm, I'm assuming gravity of 9.81 m/s

I've worked out k to be 490.5 N, w to be 18.08, T to be 0.348 secs and f to be 2.97Hz, which i think are all correct.

the question asks find displacement x as a function of time, I don't even know what this means, I don't even know what formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find displacement as a function of time, you find an expression describing the system with the displacement variable [tex] x[/tex] and the time variable [tex] t[/tex], and then you re-arrange the expession to isolate the displacement variable on one side of the equation and an expression for time on the other side, i.e., find [tex] x(t) [/tex].

Yeah that makes sense and was kinda the area I was thinking.
I've just found this:

x(t) = xm(the amplitude of motion) cos 2*pi*t/T

and think this might be the one to use, not sure how this will work out though

i've now got x(t) = 0.0632 does this seem right? and is it the final answer? I'm slightly worried as i have not used the x=1.5cm?

The general equation is:

[tex]x(t) = Acos(\omega{t} + \phi) + x_0[/tex]

where [tex]x_0[/tex] is your equilbrium position... this is the position where the mass hangs from the spring without oscillating... ie: x0 = mg/k... a position of x = 0, corresponds to the spring's unstretched position.

you already know A and [tex]\omega[/tex]... you need to get [tex]\phi[/tex]

Edit: switched from y to x.

Last edited:
So the position i am at now is:- (I hope my earlier calculations arn't wrong)

x(t) = 0.022 cos(18.08 * 0.01 + (pi / 2)) + 0.015 ?

so my answer is:
x(t) = 0.037 ( does this even sound reasonable?)

My course notes and the books I have are of no help at all on this question. I don't even know how to work out the phase angle(phi), the best i can come up with is phi = pi/2 ?? which seems too simple

I'm now so confused and my head hurts. It doesn't help that my assessor is away for 2 weeks either.

Any extra help would be greatly recieved.

Last edited:
All your calculations for the first parts look right. The second part is asking for displacement as a function of time... that means t will be a variable in your expression...

[tex]x(t) = Acos(\omega{t} + \phi) + x_0[/tex]

substituting your A, omega, and x0(x0 is actually given in the question as 3cm)

[tex]x(t) = 0.022cos(18.08{t} + \phi) + 0.03[/tex]

once you get phi, just replace [tex]\phi[/tex] with the number... and then you're done.

To solve for [tex]\phi[/tex] use the fact that at t = 0.01s, x = 0.015m

So plug in t = 0.01, and x(t) = 0.015 and solve for [tex]\phi[/tex] in radians.

so:

0.015 * 0.01 = 0.022cos(18.08t + phi) + 0.03

0.00015 / 0.022 = cos(18.08 * 0.01 + phi) + 0.03

0.0068 - 0.03 = cos(0.1808 + phi)

-0.0232 = cos0.1808 + cos phi

-0.0232 / cos1 = cos phi

-0.0232 = cos phi

cos -1(-0.0232) = phi

phi = 91.33 rad/s ? I'm sure I've got this totally wrong

By the x(t)... I didn't meant x multiplied by t... but just meant to emphasize that x is a function of t... you can just leave it as x if you want.

[tex]x = 0.022cos(18.08{t} + \phi) + 0.03[/tex]

So plug in x = 0.015 and t = 0.01

0.015 = 0.022cos(18.08*0.01 + phi) + 0.03

0.015 -0.03 = 0.022cos(0.1808 + phi)

-0.015 = 0.022cos(0.1808 + phi)
-0.015/0.022 = cos(0.1808 + phi)

Now take the inverse cosine of both sides (use your calculator for the left side)... then solve for phi...

I've just spoke to another instructor at the uni and he gave me the formula

X = A*sin(wt+phi)

I solved for phi and got 40.58 rad/s

Does this look right anyone?

Now I assume i put phi into the formula with A and w and leave X and t as letters?

chriswev said:
I've just spoke to another instructor at the uni and he gave me the formula

X = A*sin(wt+phi)

I solved for phi and got 40.58 rad/s

Does this look right anyone?

Now I assume i put phi into the formula with A and w and leave X and t as letters?

You can use that formula as long as you define the x = 0 position as being when the mass is hanging motionless from the string... ie the equilibrium position...

It really depends on what they mean by displacement x... do they mean displacement from the unstretched spring position... or do they mean displacement from the 3cm position...

Do they give a picture by any chance? Anyway, phi should between 0 and 2pi = 6.28radians...

Reading the question again, yeah, they're probably asking for displacement from the position where the mass is hanging at rest... so

X = A*sin(wt+phi)

should be fine.

Can you show your calculations for how you got phi?

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for the mass suspended on a spring?

The equation for the mass suspended on a spring is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the mass affect the period of oscillation for a spring?

The mass does not affect the period of oscillation for a spring. The period only depends on the spring constant and the mass does not affect it. This is known as the isochronous nature of a simple harmonic oscillator.

3. What happens to the frequency when the mass of a spring is increased?

The frequency of the spring will decrease when the mass is increased. This is because the spring will require more force to stretch and oscillate, resulting in a longer period and lower frequency.

4. Can a spring with different masses have the same period of oscillation?

Yes, a spring with different masses can have the same period of oscillation if the spring constant is adjusted accordingly. The period of oscillation only depends on the spring constant and not the mass, so as long as the spring constant is the same, the period will be the same.

5. How does the amplitude of oscillation change with an increasing mass on a spring?

The amplitude of oscillation will decrease with an increasing mass on a spring. This is because as the mass increases, so does its inertia, making it harder for the spring to stretch and oscillate. This leads to smaller amplitudes of oscillation.