Alex the African Gray Parrot dies

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    alex
In summary, a researcher's bird died after being mistreated, and another bird's behavior indicates that they may be very social.
Simfish
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
No, no, no dead animals today. :cry:

RIP, Alex.

My condolensces to you Simfishy, and to all who cared for Alex. My brother and his wife had an African Grey whom they took under care. The bird had been mistreated and had pulled most of his feathers out of his chest. It was sad to see. They at least provided him with a better home.

Unfortunately stress from captivity can lead to premature death for wild animals.

Oh, that's terrible! This is a huge loss for research on animal cognition. And poor Dr. Pepperberg -- I am so sad for her.
:(

What a nice bird. I've watched him too, and have been impressed with his cognitive abilities - the concepts of color, relative size, and identification of forms. I'd love to have a gray for a companion, and may hook up with a friend that has one. Hers imitates her phone conversations and those of her husband (whose calls end more frequently with an expletive) and mocks her at inconvenient times. She's a sweetie, and her gray is a charmer.

I've got a friend with a macaw that was ignored and abandoned for years and he plucks his breast feathers in desperation and will nip off a finger in a heartbeat. He laughs, cries, talks (A LOT!) etc, but he is so twisted that he will attack even people who show him love and support.

Very sad. Not but two or three days ago I was showing a few family members videos of him and other African Greys. I've considered getting one on and off over the past few years but still a little hesitant to go fourth with it. I want to be able to spend plenty of time with one if i do. How social the Greys are is what attracts me to them... that and I had a few Budgies while growing up.

RIP Alex :frown:

1. What was Alex the African Gray Parrot known for?

Alex was known for his intelligence and ability to communicate with humans through his extensive vocabulary and understanding of concepts.

2. How did Alex the African Gray Parrot die?

Alex passed away in 2007 at the age of 31 due to natural causes, specifically atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

3. What made Alex unique as a parrot?

Alex's ability to communicate and understand human speech was unprecedented in the animal world and revolutionized our understanding of avian intelligence.

4. How did Alex's death impact the scientific community?

Alex's death was a great loss for the scientific community, as he had been an important subject of study for over 30 years and had contributed to numerous groundbreaking research in the field of animal cognition.

5. What is Alex's legacy in the world of animal behavior research?

Alex's legacy continues to live on through the numerous studies and books published about him, as well as the ongoing research on avian intelligence and communication inspired by his remarkable abilities.