Don't understand the cost of implementing a city recycling project?

• Thread starter poohbear1986
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the cost of implementing a city recycling project based on the percentage of citizens participating. The formula given is C(x) = (1.5x)/(100-x) and the question asks for the cost when 60% of citizens participate and the percentage of participation when $5 million is spent. More information is needed to solve the second question. The correct answer for the first question is 2,250,000.
poohbear1986
dont understand

For the following function, C computes the cost in millions of dollars of implementing a city recycling project when x percent of the citizens participate.
Using this model, approximately what is the cost if 60% of the citizens participate?
Using this model, estimate the percentage of participation that can be excepted if $5 million is spent on this recycling project? Set up an equation and solve algebraically. Round to the nearest whole percent

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have a function definition for C? Do you have sufficient information to find the function C?

Your information seems to become:
C=f(x); what is f(0.60)? what is x when 5=f(x)?... in other words, if C=5, what is f(x)?

More information is needed.

C(x)=1.5x/100-x

his is the formula the book gives me

So x is the percentage and C is the total cost.

Replace x with 60 in the formula and see what C is.

i did that a got like .04 but to me that doesn't seem right

poohbear1986 said:
i did that a got like .04 but to me that doesn't seem right

I assume the formula to mean this:

C(x)=(1.5x)/(100-x)

Right? In which case put 60 in and work out again.

this is what i did
C(X)=1.5X/100-X
C(60)=1.5*60/100-60
C(60)=90/40
C(60)=2.25
C(60/60)=2.25/60
C=.0375 OR .04
so I'm suppose to put this in millions if i move the decimal point over six spaces then i get37,500 or 40,000

poohbear1986 said:
C(60)=2.25
C(60/60)=2.25/60

I don't understand why you suddenly decided to divide it by 60 here, I also don't understand why you think: C(x/60) = C(x)/60

isnt the x in front of the C a 60 so to get C by itself you divide

poohbear1986 said:
isnt the x in front of the C a 60 so to get C by itself you divide

No it isn't. The notation C(x) means that C is a function of x, it is not multiplication of C by x. Often in math we use a shorthand and refer to a function f(x) by merely f, that is what is happening when they ask you for the value of C whe x=60, or C(60), that is the function C(x) evaluated at the number 60, not C "times" 60.

ok i think i get it now, so my answer would be 2.25, put that into millions and i get 2,250,000

1. What does it mean when someone says "I don't understand"?

When someone says "I don't understand," it means that they do not comprehend or grasp a concept or idea that has been presented to them.

2. How can I help someone who doesn't understand?

One way to help someone who doesn't understand is by breaking down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks. You can also try using different examples or analogies to explain the concept.

3. Why is it important to acknowledge when you don't understand something?

Acknowledging when you don't understand something is important because it allows you to seek clarification and gain a better understanding. It also shows that you are actively engaged and willing to learn.

4. Is it okay to ask for clarification if I don't understand something?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for clarification if you do not understand something. It shows that you are actively engaged and want to gain a better understanding.

5. How can I improve my understanding of complex concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of complex concepts is by actively engaging with the material and asking questions. You can also try breaking down the information into smaller parts and connecting it to real-life examples to make it more relatable.