Finding Velocity for Work and Energy Problem

In summary, the velocity of the physics textbook when its kinetic and potential energies are equal is v = 9.90 m/s. This can be found by using the equation K = (1/2)mv^2 and setting it equal to U = mgh, where h is the original height of 10 meters. By using the conservation of mechanical energy, it can be determined that the point where the potential and kinetic energies are equal is at the midpoint (5 meters), and the final equation for velocity is v = sq. root of (gh).
petern
[SOLVED] Finding Velocity for Work and Energy Problem

A 2 kg physics textbook is dropped form rest out a window 10 meters above the ground. What is the textbook's speed when it's kinetic and potential energies are equal?

The answer is v = 9.90 m/s.

You would use the equation U = (1/2)kx^2 and K = (1/2)mv^2, right?

I really don't know what to do especially since the k is in the equation of U. How do I solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would only use U = (1/2)kx^2 when you have a force that is proportional to some quantity x. For example, spring force is -kx by Hooke's Law, so you would use U = (1/2)kx^2, which is what you are probably thinking about. A book dropping from a window is subject to a constant force, so you need to use a different equation for potential energy.

You have your kinetic energy equation right. Because that equation has a v in it, you can use it to find velocity if you know the total mechanical energy. How can you find that?

So you would use U = mgh then. I would set the 2 equations equal to each other and then solve for v. I get v = sq. root of (2gh), but that is the right answer.

When U = mgh, where h is the original height above the ground (i.e. 10 meters), there is no kinetic energy because you have not dropped the book yet. You need to find an expression for the potential energy when it is equal to the kinetic energy. Use the conservation of mechanical energy.

Oooh, the point where they are equal is at the midpoint, which is 5 m. so I use v = sq. root of (gh). Thanks!

1. What is velocity in relation to work and energy problems?

Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In work and energy problems, velocity is important because it affects the amount of work that can be done on an object and the amount of energy it possesses.

2. How is velocity calculated in work and energy problems?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. Why is velocity considered a vector quantity?

Velocity is considered a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. This means that the velocity of an object can change if either its speed or direction changes.

4. How does velocity affect the amount of work done on an object?

The greater the velocity of an object, the more work can be done on it. This is because work is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of that force. Therefore, a higher velocity means the object can cover a greater distance in the same amount of time, resulting in more work being done.

5. Can velocity be negative in work and energy problems?

Yes, velocity can be negative in work and energy problems. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. This can affect the amount of work and energy involved in the problem, so it is important to pay attention to the direction of velocity when solving these types of problems.