Grading Exam Papers: A Guide for Professors

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of grading exam papers, including using stamps, relying on teaching assistants, and alphabetically grading. One commenter suggests a unique system of using U.S. currency for exams, while another shares their experience with a teacher who consistently gave B- grades.
Physics news on Phys.org
nice :)

Why not just use a stamp with "B-" on it?

Don't they have teaching assistants to grade the papers? Or do the teaching assistants just retrieve the papers afterwards?

I think one of the commenters had a better grading system:
I personally like the system that required all exams to be written on the back of any form of U.S. Currency. This helps simplify the entire process. Short answers and the denomination of the currency shows how serious the student considers their education.

This is too much work. If I was a professor, I would just grade alphabetically. If your name begins with A, you get an A, etc. Absolutely no flaws with that method...as long as you don't teach people whose names end with Z...

BobG said:
Don't they have teaching assistants to grade the papers? Or do the teaching assistants just retrieve the papers afterwards?

I think one of the commenters had a better grading system:

Yeah, I actually laughed at that comment and was going to post it here :)

Moridin said:
Why not just use a stamp with "B-" on it?

OMG, that's what my english teacher did. She gave everyone a B- on every essay. Always.

Heh. When I saw this post, I was going to post my HS science teacher's method of grading papers. But I hadn't read the link yet. That's his method.

1. How are exam papers graded?

Exam papers are typically graded by trained professionals, such as teachers or professors, who have expertise in the subject matter. They carefully review each answer and assign a numerical score based on the accuracy and completeness of the response.

2. What criteria are used to grade exam papers?

The criteria used to grade exam papers may vary depending on the type of exam and subject matter, but generally include factors such as understanding of key concepts, ability to apply knowledge, organization and structure of the response, and use of supporting evidence.

3. Is there a standardized grading system for exam papers?

While there are some standardized grading systems, such as rubrics, used in certain educational settings, the grading of exam papers is often subjective and may differ from teacher to teacher or institution to institution. However, most grading systems aim to assess the level of understanding and mastery of the material covered in the exam.

4. How do teachers ensure fairness in grading exam papers?

To ensure fairness in grading, teachers may use various methods such as double marking, where two teachers independently grade the same exam paper, or moderation, where a group of teachers review and discuss the grading of a set of exam papers. Additionally, many teachers have specific guidelines and criteria for grading that they follow consistently.

5. Can exam papers be challenged or re-graded?

In some cases, students may have the opportunity to request a re-grade of their exam paper if they believe there has been a mistake or unfairness in the grading process. However, this is usually at the discretion of the teacher or institution and may require a valid reason or evidence to support the request.