Exploring Wave Functions & Molecular Orbitals: Questions & Answers

In summary, all electrons in a MO must have the same magnetic quantum number. This is because the magnetic moments of the electrons are summed together.
grunf
I have one question about wave functions and molecular orbitals (MO). In the computational quantum chemistry scientists often use Linear Combination Atomic Orbitals (LCAO) to construct MO.

[tex]\varphi_{i\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})=
\sum\limits_{p=1}^{N}\chi_{p\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})
C_{i\lambda p},[/tex]
where
[tex]\chi_{p\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})=2^{-1/2}
\left[\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{A})
+\sigma_{\lambda}\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{B})\right].[/tex]

Here [tex]\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{J})[/tex] (J=A,B) are the usual Slater-type functions (STF-s) centered on A and B, respectively. [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the symmetry species [tex](\textrm{for example } \sigma[/tex] or [tex]\pi) [/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] (for example g or u) is the subspecies of symmetry [tex]\lambda[/tex].

Note, that in the above sum's there is no dependence [tex]m_{\lambda\alpha}[/tex]
from p!?

The question is: Does it means that in some MO ([tex]\sigma[/tex] or [tex]\pi[/tex], for example) all electrons must have the same magnetic quantum number? Why is that?
Is there some symmetry, some rule, some law or some common property for all electrons in the same MO.

In some papers I have found that for LCAO molecule [tex]N_{2}[/tex] all electrons have
[tex]m=0[/tex] while in the case of molecule [tex]O_{2}[/tex] [tex]m=1[/tex]. Why is that? Is it possible that some electrons have [tex]m=-1[/tex]?

If somebody have any sugestions about this question, I will be very appreciate.

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have absolutely no idea at all about computational chemistry or STFs I'm afraid... (which I think is what may have put a lot of physicists off trying to answer!)
What I can tell you is that magnetic quantum numbers can range over the integers (-L, L) where L is the orbital quantum number, so yes electrons can have a magnetic moment of minus one. See here for a little more info, or google 'magnetic quantum numbers'.

grunf said:
I have one question about wave functions and molecular orbitals (MO). In the computational quantum chemistry scientists often use Linear Combination Atomic Orbitals (LCAO) to construct MO.

[tex]\varphi_{i\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})=
\sum\limits_{p=1}^{N}\chi_{p\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})
C_{i\lambda p},[/tex]
where
[tex]\chi_{p\lambda\alpha}(\vec{r})=2^{-1/2}
\left[\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{A})
+\sigma_{\lambda}\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{B})\right].[/tex]

Here [tex]\chi_{n_{\lambda p} l_{\lambda p}m_{\lambda\alpha}}(\vec{r}_{J})[/tex] (J=A,B) are the usual Slater-type functions (STF-s) centered on A and B, respectively. [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the symmetry species [tex](\textrm{for example } \sigma[/tex] or [tex]\pi) [/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex] (for example g or u) is the subspecies of symmetry [tex]\lambda[/tex].

Note, that in the above sum's there is no dependence [tex]m_{\lambda\alpha}[/tex]
from p!?

The question is: Does it means that in some MO ([tex]\sigma[/tex] or [tex]\pi[/tex], for example) all electrons must have the same magnetic quantum number? Why is that?
Is there some symmetry, some rule, some law or some common property for all electrons in the same MO.

In some papers I have found that for LCAO molecule [tex]N_{2}[/tex] all electrons have
[tex]m=0[/tex]

all? really? All fourteen electrons? :wink:

while in the case of molecule [tex]O_{2}[/tex] [tex]m=1[/tex]. Why is that? Is it possible that some electrons have [tex]m=-1[/tex]?

If somebody have any sugestions about this question, I will be very appreciate.

Regards

olgranpappy said:
all? really? All fourteen electrons? :wink:

I was quite unaccurate. In this case I was thinking on the electron in the Highest Ocuppied Molecular Orbital (HOMO). My mistake :frown:

muppet said:
I have absolutely no idea at all about computational chemistry or STFs I'm afraid... (which I think is what may have put a lot of physicists off trying to answer!)
What I can tell you is that magnetic quantum numbers can range over the integers (-L, L) where L is the orbital quantum number, so yes electrons can have a magnetic moment of minus one. See here for a little more info, or google 'magnetic quantum numbers'.

Thanx for the tips. I already know that. I am sure that is the key in the some molecular symmetries, but I am not sure. I am looking for some rule, law... Thanx again

1. What are wave functions and molecular orbitals?

Wave functions are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of a particle in quantum mechanics. Molecular orbitals are the result of combining multiple atomic orbitals to describe the distribution of electrons in a molecule.

2. How do wave functions and molecular orbitals relate to each other?

Wave functions are used to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a particular region of space. The square of the wave function gives the probability density, which is used to determine the shape of molecular orbitals.

3. What is the significance of the shape of molecular orbitals?

The shape of molecular orbitals determines the electronic and chemical properties of a molecule. It affects factors such as bond strength, reactivity, and overall stability.

4. How is the energy of a molecule related to its molecular orbitals?

The energy of a molecule is determined by the energy levels of its molecular orbitals. Electrons occupy these orbitals in a way that minimizes the overall energy of the molecule.

5. Are wave functions and molecular orbitals only applicable to molecules?

No, wave functions and molecular orbitals can also be used to describe the behavior of atoms and larger systems, such as solids or crystals. However, their application to molecules is particularly important in understanding chemical bonding and reactions.