Ghost Car: Uncovering the Mystery

• Thread starter rpcarnell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: I can't say for sure. If this is a hoax, it could simply be two cars, since all you can really see are the brake lights of the car at this point. In the last frame of this video, the brake lights go off, and you can no longer see the "ghostcar". Because of the light reflecting off the dust, I can't see any movement of the fence, but maybe it did occur. If the car did go through, it was well to the left of the fence...but again, I can't say for sure. In summary, the "ghost car" is a car that disappears after passing through a fence. There is disagreement about whether the car went
rpcarnell
I am sure many people have already heard of the ghost car:

Here is an explanation:

Freeze the video in 1:46 and you will see that in the midle section there is no fence. The police just turned too much and hit the fence in the left. The car in the front just made a wider turn than the police (but you don't see that because the police car was filming straight and the car started to turn earlier).

It is just one of many. Other people say the car went through the fence, and the fence returned to its original fence. Others claim the car kept zigzagging because the driver was looking for a hole in the fence created intentionally to confuse the police.

Come on. There has to be a better explanation. I am sure the car is real. You can barely see the driver, in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hah.

If anything the fence lifted up on the bottom and gravity brought it back down when he passed under it. It lifted up like a flap of a doggy door. If you look he did go in between poles.

People are confusing the issues. It was obviously a REAL car. But it was a GHOST FENCE!

So the car passed through it and the cops got scared because they've never seen a ghost fence. Those things can be vicious. They can tear your jeans, and like, keep people out.

Hehe.. Maybe they just edited the video later..
I find it funny how there's a bunch of light covering the screen just as it happens.

Look at the fence post at the bottom center of the screen, at the very end of the video. It is severely bent in the direction that the car was going.

He ran over the fence and it sprang back up.

Speaking of ghost cars, I was once on a ocean road, and a car was following behind me. It was a strech of about 15 miles, with no turn offs. One minute it was there, and then poof it was gone. It startled me so much that I had to double back to see if they had run off into the ocean. I went up and down the road several time, they just vanished.

Poop-Loops said:
They can tear your jeans, and like, keep people out.

:bugeye: eep.

Ivan Seeking said:
Look at the fence post at the bottom center of the screen, at the very end of the video. It is severely bent in the direction that the car was going.

He ran over the fence and it sprang back up.

I think you've got it! Now that I was watching for it, you can even see the post rocking a bit, but the motion is a bit obscured by the flashing lights on it...at first you think the motion is just the lights flashing.

I'm not sure the post was bent - it could just be that the car went under the fence if it wasn't securely fastened to the posts. The cop was just unfortunate enough to hit the post.

It is also a little tough to tell just where the car went through since we don't see it. The cop did not necessarily follow the car exactly - he turned pretty late, which implies to me that he ended up going at the fence to the right of the other car.

I believe what happened here is that he simply ran over the fence, and if that's not the case he went through it between the posts as if it was a "doggy door" similar to bassplayer, and obviously you can see he turns the lights off after noticing the cop car as came to a stop/confusion.

It is videos like this and what people say about them that make me ill. It is absurd that people could really believe this. If you look right when the cop car pulls up you can actually see the top of the fence swaying. It either went below the fence or above it. I actually argued with some moron on youtube just to see what it would amount to. Not much...

I made a windows movie file of the key sequence, slowing the rate by a factor of 10.

http://jeffareid.net/misc/ghostcar.wmv [Broken]

If this is a hoax, it could simply be two cars, since all you can really see are the brake lights of the car at this point. In the last frame of this video, the brake lights go off, and you can no longer see the "ghostcar". Because of the light reflecting off the dust, I can't see any movement of the fence, but maybe it did occur. If the car did go through, it was well to the left of the fence post.

Have they proven...

Have they even proven this is a real Police video. That was my first thought when I was told about the video and once I saw it I was even more convinced that it was a hoax. It it's not able to be documents as an actual police video then any number of things could have been done to create this.

Tonight on the Syfy channel, a new show premiered call Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files
http://www.syfy.com/factorfaked/photos.php

They did a pretty good job of demonstrating that the car most likely went under the fence.

The fence has been replaced since the incident happened, but the officer involved stated that it was missing the brackets that secure the fence material to the posts. By setting up a test fence and removing the securing brackets, a car driven at about the same speed as the one in the video, was able to go right under the chain link, which immediately fell back into position.

Ivan Seeking said:
Tonight on the Syfy channel, a new show premiered call Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files
http://www.syfy.com/factorfaked/photos.php

They did a pretty good job of demonstrating that the car most likely went under the fence.

The fence has been replaced since the incident happened, but the officer involved stated that it was missing the brackets that secure the fence material to the posts. By setting up a test fence and removing the securing brackets, a car driven at about the same speed as the one in the video, was able to go right under the chain link, which immediately fell back into position.

Ahhh, the wonders of torsion. Makes sense to me, much like the old trip with rubber bands on the fingers. Ghost fence... oh lord.

Was hoping to see the car vanish/fade away on the straight in front of the camera at speed.

Hardly convincing at all with super low quality video & lights & reflections. The car goes off screen nuff said. always a logical explanation

We know the event actually happened as the cop involved helped to reeneact it. The only remaining question was the practical matter of how the car got through the fence.

nuff said.

Last edited:
Looks like the fence broke on the left side - allowing the car to go through - then it sprang back and the police did not want to scratch up their cruiser and pass through!

Apparently one of the responding officers has replied to email inquiries about this incident and according to him it is clear the car went under the fence. The bottom of the fence is bent as others here have mentioned and there are scrapes on the poles where the galvanized mesh and its anchors slid up and down as the car passed through.

cosinewave said:
Apparently one of the responding officers has replied to email inquiries about this incident and according to him it is clear the car went under the fence. The bottom of the fence is bent as others here have mentioned and there are scrapes on the poles where the galvanized mesh and its anchors slid up and down as the car passed through.

We need a link for that one.

1. What is the "Ghost Car" phenomenon?

The "Ghost Car" phenomenon refers to a mysterious occurrence where a vehicle is seen driving on a road, but then suddenly disappears without a trace. This has been reported by numerous individuals and has become a popular topic of discussion.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for the "Ghost Car" phenomenon?

While there is no concrete scientific explanation for this phenomenon, some experts believe that it could be due to optical illusions or reflections from nearby objects. Others suggest that it could be a form of pareidolia, where the brain interprets random patterns as familiar objects.

3. Are there any documented cases of "Ghost Cars"?

Yes, there have been several documented cases of "Ghost Cars" throughout history. One of the most famous cases is the "Vanishing Car" incident in England in 1991, where a car was seen disappearing into thin air on a CCTV camera.

4. Can technology be used to capture evidence of a "Ghost Car"?

While there is no specific technology designed to capture evidence of a "Ghost Car", some paranormal investigators have used equipment such as infrared cameras and motion sensors to try and capture these mysterious occurrences. However, the results have been inconclusive.

5. What are some possible explanations for the disappearance of a "Ghost Car"?

Aside from optical illusions and pareidolia, there are several other theories that attempt to explain the disappearance of a "Ghost Car". Some suggest that it could be related to parallel universes or time slips, while others believe it could be the work of ghosts or other supernatural entities.