Cool Video: Meteor Hits NW Ground

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Meteor
In summary, a pilot spotted a meteor in the NW this morning and it's expected to make the news once someone finds it. This sparked a discussion about owning or finding a meteorite, with one person sharing their experience of finding a piece of iron ore with grooves on it. They also shared a link to an article about finding meteorites.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A meteor that came down in the NW this morning was caught on camera.

A pilot reported seeing it hit the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's going to make the news when someone finds it----now there's a treasure hunt

That was really cool.

I'd like to own a meteorite someday--or even better find one myself. When I used to go arrowhead hunting as a kid, I keep my eyes open for anything, including meteorites. I did find a dense piece of iron ore one time, that had grooves rubbed into it. It was was used to get a red pigment from---I guess its fairly rare too. I'll see if I can find it, dig it out of its almost forgotten box, and post a photo.

Anyway--finding a meteorite:

mh_willamet11.jpg

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2006/November/Accretion_Desk.htm

maybe not that big, but a baseball sized tektite would be nice.

1. What exactly is a meteor?

A meteor is a small piece of space debris that enters Earth's atmosphere at high speeds and creates a bright streak of light as it burns up due to friction with the air. It is also commonly referred to as a shooting star or falling star.

2. How big was the meteor that hit the ground in the NW?

The size of the meteor can vary greatly, but typically they are small, ranging from a grain of sand to the size of a small pebble. The one that hit the ground in the NW was estimated to be about the size of a golf ball.

3. Is it common for meteors to hit the ground?

No, it is actually quite rare for a meteor to make it all the way to the ground. Most meteors burn up completely in the atmosphere before reaching the ground. Only about 5-10% of meteors are large enough to survive and impact the Earth's surface.

4. How fast was the meteor traveling when it hit the ground?

Meteors can travel at speeds of up to 160,000 miles per hour as they enter Earth's atmosphere. However, as they encounter air resistance, they slow down significantly and can hit the ground at speeds of around 20-40 miles per hour.

5. What happens to the meteor after it hits the ground?

After a meteor impacts the ground, it is referred to as a meteorite. Depending on its size and composition, it may leave a small crater or just create a small indentation on the surface. Scientists can study meteorites to learn more about the composition and formation of our solar system.