Explore Unknown Languages: Lapp, Batak Toba, Ibibio, Tamazight, Tamil, Gascon

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary: From time to time I write things that are meant to entertain rather than inform. I would be a liar if I didn't admit that some of the reactions please me. But this response strokes me well. I aim to have my words sit in the cup of the ear for a while before wending their way in. That is why I write so much better than I tell jokes. Much of my material is shamelessly lifted. This one was my father's joke, though he may have lifted it himself.Really? How do you know?Well you know my bf's ex-gf's sis is also a laplander
Lisa!
Gold Member
Have you ever heard of Lapp, Batak toba, Ibibio, Tamazight, Tamil, Gascon ? If yes what are they? Are they spoken languages? I must admit that I've never heard of any of them other than Tamil(Tamil's tigers:uhh:). Since I really don't have enough time right now to search for them, any sort of information is highly appreciated. Just give me a brief information. Someting like where theey're spoken if they're languages...

Thanks in advance:smile:
BTW, please don't throw a link at me since I really don't have time to check it now:redface:

Science news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
Have you ever heard of Lapp, Batak toba, Ibibio, Tamazight, Tamil, Gascon ? If yes what are they? Are they spoken languages? I must admit that I've never heard of any of them other than Tamil(Tamil's tigers:uhh:). Since I really don't have enough time right now to search for them, any sort of information is highly appreciated. Just give me a brief information. Someting like where theey're spoken if they're languages...

Thanks in advance:smile:
BTW, please don't throw a link at me since I really don't have time to check it now:redface:
Lapp is spoken by Laplanders in northern Sweden, Norway, Finland and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. When my kids were younger, they too were Laplanders.
Batak Toba is is an Austronesian / Malayo-Polynesian language that originates from Northern Sumatra, in Indonesia.
The Ibibio people are a tribe in southeast Nigeria.
The Berber language known as Tamazight is spoken in northern Africa (Morocco and Algeria).
Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken predominantly by Tamils in India, Sri Lanka and Singapore.
Gascon is a dialect of the Occitan language. Gascon is mostly spoken in Gascony and Bearn in France.

I thought they were all prescription medicines.

Thank you very much, jimmy!:smile:
Lapp is spoken by Laplanders in northern Sweden, Norway, Finland and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. When my kids were younger, they too were Laplanders.
Batak Toba is is an Austronesian / Malayo-Polynesian language that originates from Northern Sumatra, in Indonesia.
The Ibibio people are a tribe in southeast Nigeria.
The Berber language known as Tamazight is spoken in northern Africa (Morocco and Algeria).
Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken predominantly by Tamils in India, Sri Lanka and Singapore.
Gascon is a dialect of the Occitan language. Gascon is mostly spoken in Gascony and Bearn in France.

hmmm...sounds interesting!:bugeye:

Whatya mean your kids were once laplanders?

binzing said:
It's a phase they go through.

OK, I got it shortly after posting that.

binzing said:

mgb_phys said:
It's a phase they go through.

binzing said:
OK, I got it shortly after posting that.

Oh, boy, that was a slow one to sink in. I glossed over it entirely on the first read, then sat staring at it a while after you said you got it, wondering what you got, and s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y, it finally sunk in and I got it too. :groan: (<-one of these days that will be a real smiley :biggrin:)

Aarggghhh - I was even dumber.
I thought maybe jimmysnider was Swedish/Finnish or married to one.
So I meant it as a joke - like one day you come home and your kids aren't goths anymore, they are dressed in colourful knitted caps and reindeer skin boots.

I must get out more ...

mgb_phys said:
Aarggghhh - I was even dumber.
I thought maybe jimmysnider was Swedish/Finnish or married to one.
So I meant it as a joke - like one day you come home and your kids aren't goths anymore, they are dressed in colourful knitted caps and reindeer skin boots.

I must get out more ...

I just hurt myself laughing. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y,
From time to time I write things that are meant to entertain rather than inform. I would be a liar if I didn't admit that some of the reactions please me. But this response strokes me well. I aim to have my words sit in the cup of the ear for a while before wending their way in. That is why I write so much better than I tell jokes. Much of my material is shamelessly lifted. This one was my father's joke, though he may have lifted it himself.

Last edited:
So what are you talking about? :tongue:

My kitty's a laplander.

lisab said:
My kitty's a laplander.

Really? How do you know?
Well you know my bf's ex-gf's sis is also a laplander. You know when I start dating him he was hardly able to speak English(I mean his English was a bit worse than me) But now he claims that he's able to speak all those languages mentioned in 1st post!Now I'm wondering if he's cheating on me!:grumpy::devil:
:rofl:

1. What are the origins of these unknown languages?

The Lapp language, also known as Sami, is spoken by the indigenous Sami people in parts of northern Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. Batak Toba is a language spoken by the Batak people in North Sumatra, Indonesia. Ibibio is a language spoken by the Ibibio people in southeastern Nigeria. Tamazight, also known as Berber, is spoken by the Berber people in North Africa. Tamil is a language spoken in southern India, Sri Lanka, and parts of Southeast Asia. Gascon is a dialect of the Occitan language spoken in southwestern France.

2. How many people speak these languages?

The estimated number of speakers for each of these languages are as follows: Lapp - 20,000-30,000, Batak Toba - 2 million, Ibibio - 5 million, Tamazight - 30-40 million, Tamil - 70 million, Gascon - 250,000-500,000.

3. What similarities or differences do these languages have?

These languages belong to different language families and have distinct phonetic, grammatical, and lexical features. However, some similarities can be found in their vocabulary, as they have been influenced by neighboring languages. For example, Tamazight and Gascon have both been influenced by Arabic and French, respectively.

4. Are these languages in danger of extinction?

Some of these languages, such as Lapp and Gascon, are considered endangered, as their number of speakers are decreasing. However, efforts are being made to preserve and revitalize these languages through education and cultural programs. Batak Toba, Ibibio, and Tamil are currently considered safe, but their continued usage and preservation is still important.

5. Can anyone learn these languages?

Yes, anyone can learn these languages with dedication, practice, and resources. Many universities offer courses in these languages and there are also online resources and language learning apps available. It is also helpful to immerse oneself in the culture and interact with native speakers to fully understand and appreciate the language.