The Physics of Sound: Why No Music Beyond the Door?

In summary: Basically, if two waves have the same speed (like they are crossing a room), the one with a longer wavelength will take longer to pass a stationary point.
AnthreX
i was in my room listening to rock musics with speakers and the door closed
and i went out of the room closing the door behind me and in about 7~8m away from the room i didnt hear any voices coming out of the door just the bass beats ( drums ),

why is that ?

( the door is just a wooden door )
the wall is concrete
speakers were facing the door

Physics news on Phys.org
Bass is a long wave, and passes through obstructions more easily.

LURCH said:
Bass is a long wave, and passes through obstructions more easily.

Sounds good to me. :eek:
Couldn't resist.

long wave means lower frequency ?? :confused:

If the waves are moving at the same speed (like soundwaevs crossibng a room), yes. Two waves cross a room, one has length L, the other's length is 1/2L. The one that is twice as long will take twice as much time to pass at the same speed. So it will have frequency 1/2 that of the other wave, making it 1 ochtave lower.

LURCH said:
If the waves are moving at the same speed (like soundwaevs crossibng a room), yes. Two waves cross a room, one has length L, the other's length is 1/2L. The one that is twice as long will take twice as much time to pass at the same speed. So it will have frequency 1/2 that of the other wave, making it 1 ochtave lower.

None of this is true... If a sound wave has wavelength L and another has wavelength L/2 in the same room then they still will move at the same speed. The one with L/2 will have twice as high of a frequency. speed of sound = wavelength times frequency... and the speed of sound is pretty much constant in a constant environment nomatter what the wavelength. But the reason why you only hear bass has already been said, lower frequency (longer wavelenghts) can pass through objects better. One more this... Ochtaves are not based off doubling a frequency, and ochtave is a multiple of the base frequency of that note. If 'C' is 356, then the ochtaves of C are n*356 where n is 1,2,3...

anthrex,
Dude apparently did not understand my post. I hope that you did, but I want to make sure. This part:
TheDude710 said:
None of this is true... If a sound wave has wavelength L and another has wavelength L/2 in the same room then they still will move at the same speed. ... and the speed of sound is pretty much constant in a constant environment nomatter what the wavelength.
is exactly the same as what I said here:
If the waves are moving at the same speed (like soundwaevs crossibng a room), yes.

What I'm saying is that the wave that is twice as long will take twice as much time to pass a stationary point (like your ear drum, for example) specifically because it is traveling at the same speed as the shorter wave.

As for this:

One more this... Ochtaves are not based off doubling a frequency, and ochtave is a multiple of the base frequency of that note. If 'C' is 356, then the ochtaves of C are n*356 where n is 1,2,3...
You can research it yourself here or any number of music theory sources.

Sorry man, I was incorrect on Ochtaves but the way you explained the speed thing was unclear.

What is the physics of sound?

The physics of sound is the study of how sound waves travel through different mediums and how they interact with each other. It involves understanding concepts such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength.

How does sound travel?

Sound travels in the form of waves through different mediums such as air, water, and solids. These waves are created when an object vibrates, causing the molecules in the medium to vibrate and transfer the energy of the sound.

Why does sound not travel beyond closed doors?

Sound waves require a medium to travel through, so when a door is closed, it creates a barrier that sound cannot pass through. The door absorbs or reflects the sound waves, preventing them from continuing to travel.

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium. It varies depending on the medium, temperature, and humidity, but in dry air at room temperature, it travels at approximately 343 meters per second.

Why is music not audible beyond a certain distance?

As sound waves travel, they lose energy and become less intense. This phenomenon is known as attenuation. The distance at which music becomes inaudible depends on factors such as the volume of the music, the size of the room, and the materials that the sound waves encounter.