Functions and Realtions : Operation on Functions [Please Answer NOW. I need it today]

• Thread starter evilreaper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: That will only make it more difficult.for number 4-5i haven't answered it. same reason, i do not know. my teacher just teach us the basic but not the complex one. please help me..In summary, the student is unable to solve the first three problems, and is not sure how to solve the fourth and fifth problems.
evilreaper
Functions and Relations : Operation on Functions [Please Answer NOW. I need it today]

I'm confused in these problems. I got some answer but I'm not sure of them. Please show the solutions.

Find the Sum, Difference, Product, Quotient of the following functions as indicated. Find the domain of the resulting function.

Given that:
f(x) = 8 - x
g(x) = 3x^2 - 2x + 5
h(x) = 2/x "2 over x"
1. f(x) + g(x)

2. g(x) - h(x)

3. f(x) - h(x)

4. f(x) - g(x) + f(x)

5. g(x) [f(x) + h(x)]

6. f(x) - g(x) / h(x) "f(x) - g(x) over h(x)"

This is my Solution:

for number 1.

8-x plus 3x^2 - 2x + 5

is equal to 3x^2-10+4 is that correct?

for number 2.

3x^2 - 2x + 5 minus 8 - x.
my answer is 3x^2-10+5x..

for number 3.

8-x over 1 minus 2 over x = ?.. i don't have answer, i don't know how..

for number 4-5

i haven't answered it. same reason, i do not know. my teacher just teach us the basic but not the complex one. please help me..

or just e-mail me at evilreaper25@yahoo.com.

i have to go. I'm expecting to your reply by e-mail, i'll logged my e-mail to my Phone's Web to check.. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. Please read the PF guidelines, specifically those regarding seeking homework help.

I'm moving this to the precalc maths HW forum.

for number 1.

8-x plus 3x^2 - 2x + 5

is equal to 3x^2-10+4 is that correct?
That's incorrect. Combine liked terms.

for number 2.

3x^2 - 2x + 5 minus 8 - x.
my answer is 3x^2-10+5x..
First, you subtracted the wrong functions. Also, you have to use the distributive property for the negative sign. Again, combine liked terms.

for number 3.

8-x over 1 minus 2 over x = ?.. i don't have answer, i don't know how..
Add/Subtract fractions.

Everything else is straightforward. Just combine liked terms.

One more thing: try not to do your homework at the very last minute.

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input (also known as the independent variable) has a unique output (also known as the dependent variable). It can be represented as a set of ordered pairs, a graph, or a rule that describes how to get from the input to the output.

What is a relation?

A relation is a set of ordered pairs that represents a connection or correspondence between two sets of data. It can be represented as a table, a graph, or a mapping diagram.

What are some examples of operations on functions?

Some common operations on functions include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, composition, and inverse. For example, adding two functions means adding the output values of the two functions for each input, while composing two functions means using the output of one function as the input for the other.

How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To determine the domain, look at the inputs and make sure there are no restrictions or undefined values. To determine the range, look at the outputs and determine the highest and lowest values that the function can produce.

What is the difference between a one-to-one function and an onto function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input has a unique output, meaning there are no repeated outputs. An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a function where every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, the function "hits" every point in the range.