I dont quite understand the mathematica language. linear equations

In summary, to solve linear equations and linear systems in the form y=ax+b, you can use the LinearSolve function under the algebraic manipulation palette. For simple equations like y=(5/4)x-2, you can use the Solve function with the equation and the variable you want to solve for. However, LinearSolve is more useful for solving large systems of linear equations in matrix form.
offtheleft
how would i get it to solve linear equations and linear systems, especially in the form;
[tex]y=ax+b[/tex]

my professor and i found out that it likes brackets "[tex] [ . . . ] [/tex]" and double equal signs "[tex] == [/tex]"

i know its probably painfully obvious but any input would be tremendous!

Physics news on Phys.org
that would be under the algebraic manipulation palette?

so i would just type out [tex]y=\frac{5}{4}x-2[/tex] and press linear solve or do i have to type out;

[tex]y=\frac{5}{4}x-2[/tex] and give a set like [tex]{x, 3, 4}[/tex] or something?

If your equation is that simple then you can use:

Solve[y == 5/4 x - 2, x]

LinearSolve is for solving large systems of linear equations in matrix form.

i put that in and i get this.

{x -> (4 (2 + y))/5}

its quite confusing.

i put in "Solve[2x-y==0]" and i got:[tex]

{{y \rightarrow 8}}[/tex]

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program used for mathematical, statistical, and graphical calculations. It is commonly used in scientific research and data analysis.

2. How do I write a linear equation in Mathematica?

To write a linear equation in Mathematica, you can use the following format: y = mx + b where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

3. How do I solve a system of linear equations in Mathematica?

You can solve a system of linear equations in Mathematica using the Solve function. The syntax is Solve[{eq1, eq2, ...}, {x1, x2, ...}], where eq1, eq2, ... are the equations and x1, x2, ... are the variables to be solved for.

4. Can Mathematica plot linear equations?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions for plotting linear equations. You can use the Plot or Plot3D function to create 2D or 3D plots of linear equations, respectively.

5. Are there any resources for learning Mathematica's syntax for linear equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Mathematica's syntax for linear equations. You can refer to the official Mathematica documentation or search for tutorials and guides on websites such as Wolfram's Learn & Support page.